When HDR is Necessary: Mexico at Night

Discussion in 'Epcot Photos' started by WDWFigment, Mar 13, 2010.

1. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

The Mexico pavilion at night, in my opinion, is one of the few examples of photography at Walt Disney World where HDR is actually necessary to capture the shot (this isn't to say it doesn't enhance other shots--but until I see evidence otherwise, I'm holding firm in my stance that it's impossible to show all of the dynamic range in this scene without bracketing). ; This is a bracketed 3 exposure (-2 to +2) shot. ; Even with that, it still doesn't capture all of the dynamic range. ; Still fiddling with my HDR processing technique, so I'm not quite pleased with the results here.

[​IMG]
    Clicking the picture takes you to its Flickr page, where you can read more of the process of getting this shot...

This is one on which I'd really like critique. ; My immediate observations: ; 1) too much grunge, 2) white balance and possible tint issues, and 3) maybe a bit could be cropped from the bottom to remove the top of the rail.

2. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I'll give you this, the HDR processing gives the image a very fantasy-like feel...almost CGI

3. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Yeah...I think a lot of that is a result of the grunge from the HDR processing. ; I swear there was not that much grunge in the image when I saved the file from Dynamic-Photo HDR. ; As soon as I opened it in PS, it seemed to 'appear'. ; I guess in future images I will have to account for this better, as I'd rather it appear less fantasy-like.

4. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

I am not a fan of HDR on a whole, but I like the colors in this. The processing seems fine though perhaps a tad over exposed? The only thing that is odd, to me at least, is the perspective of the stairs and that the sky is not balanced. The sky seems to drag the focal point to itself over the temple, but that may have been the intent. What do you think?

5. goofy101

goofy101 Member

it looks so haunting, great work

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

This is where I think the use of more images with less EV between them would have helped. ; Did you check your histograms to see if you captured the entire dynamic range? ; The Red Mill Inn image I posted recently went from -3 to +3 and I used 5 exposures (-3, -1.7, 0, +1.7, +3) and it came out very photo realistic (I think). ; Also, the more images in the HDR set, the less noise shows up in the HDR processing.

7. Chris B

Chris B Member

Really interesting composition. ; I really like the effect this has on the clouds around the moon.

8. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Amazing!

9. Ryan

Ryan Member

This is an interesting perspective. This shot really pops and I agree that its a tough exposure. You really feel the immensity of this attraction in the way you balanced the details at the bottom of the shot. My eyes are immediately drawn to the intricate details at the bottom and I enjoyed the moon at the top. I can understand your need to bracket this shot as I always find myself bracketing in the Showcase (especially when those torches are lit). Thanks for the great shot.

10. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Another one where HDR is necessary...AA night shots with the sign in the frame.

2-exposures, hand merged in CS3
    [​IMG]
    Click it for Flickr.