What would you pick?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Sean, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Sean

Sean Administrator Staff Member

CANON EOS-5D MK III vs CANON EOS 5DS R vs CANON EOS 5DS

If you had a choice on the three listed above, what would you pick and WHY?

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Tough call - but if I were in the market for a Canon full frame camera and looking at those three - I think I'd still go with the 5DMkIII. For me, the 24MP is enough for most needs, and moreover the slightly better continuous frame rate combined with smaller file sizes would likely be a little better for action shooting - I'd be worried about hitting the buffer on the high res models...and I do too much action shooting to have any limit there. Secondly and importantly for me is that I suspect the Mk III will still be much better at high ISO - the new models have much lower ISO6400 range (non-expandable) in camera, likely for a reason - and though you can resize the larger res shot in post to help deal with some noise, a densely packed sensor like that is still likely to suffer more noise and scrub off a little more detail compared to the lower res Mk III with much larger pixels. High ISO shooting and action shooting are two primary focuses of my photography, so that tends to lean me towards the Mk III. If you're more of a landscape guy, then the high-res sensor makes much more sense, IMO.

3. Sean

Sean Administrator Staff Member

There is a rumor that the MKiV is coming out this year...

4. gary

gary Member

i would only choose 1 of 2 routes to go, if you absolutely need a full frame right now, get a 5dmk3, its a great camera for right now, it's the only canon body i kept in the great gear massacre of 2015. if you can wait, then by all means start keeping an eye on the sony full frame a7mk2 and pending body updates, once they improve the focus tracking for moving subjects and the battery life, they're going to destroy canon and nikon market share. the bloodletting will be horrific. over on luminous landscape michael and kevin did about a 15 minute video looking at the latest in mirror less offerings, and at the end michael reichman looks right at the camera and tells canon and nikon, either get serious about this gear, or get made into a business school case study like kodak. as michael put it, if you won't eat your babies someone else will.