What happened to the crew? These cages weren't here before we got here.

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort (California)' started by Roger, May 21, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

2. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

Roger where is this?

3. Roger

Disneyland's former Tom Sawyer's Island. ; They changed it back in 2007 to practically 100% pirate themed, and used to have a Jack Sparrow show on the Island. ; They may bring it back, but the cannon and props were gone a month ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

Ah...I have not been to Disneyland since I was 4 or 5. Nice pics!

5. Roger

Thanks!

Well, like my siggie says, everyone should try to go beginning sometime next year. ; 2011 would be ideal, since that's when The Little Mermaid dark ride opens up in the parking lot, er Walt Disney's California Adventure.

6. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

hmm...I have been wanting to go to Cali to visit the coast, Winchester House and Disney. If my daughter hears about the Little Mermaid Ride I'm sure it'll be a done deal.

7. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the pics Roger! ; I had hoped they were going to do this same thing to Florida's Tom Sawyer island, but they never did.

8. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

that is cool. That would be really cool at WDW!

9. Roger

Yeah it would. ; I wish they had followed through with the general plan to change Adventureland over into a pirate theme. ; I think it would have been manageable and an excellent fit.

10. Paul

Paul Member

2011, that's a long time to wait. ; Must be a slow process to make a dark ride.

11. Roger

Well.....

They didn't want to shut down DCA to do the renovations. ; If they did it would have been done by now.

The Board approved the World of Color show before the 1.5B. ; So right now the lagoon is closed for renovations, along with the lakeside area to create a viewing area. ; The site for The Little Mermaid is right next to the lakeside, so closing it before the viewing area is open would create massive traffic jams.

Then there is the fact that they had to tear down the show building that it is replacing (Golden Dreams film narrated by Whoopi Goldberg, who was also a major star on Superstar Limo). ; To make matters worse, the only bathrooms in the vicinity were in the same building!

So they had to build the bathrooms first across the street/walkway before tearing down the old building.

The bathrooms just got finished this month, along with the first wave of the Paradise Pier redo after Toy Story Mania defined the new Pier area. ; So as soon as the viewing area is done, they can demo and begin construction on the show building.

I believe they've already closed what's left of the old parking lot and started ground prep for Carsland and Radiator Springs Racing. ; DCA took 3/4 years to build from the parking lot up, so I know it will take at least 3 years to do the same for Carsland.