Wedding shoot

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by haunteddoc, Jul 11, 2011.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

OK, a first. ; I have been asked to be the second shooter at a wedding in Feb. ; The great thing is that it is going to be on a boat in Key West. ; Any advice, other than don't drop the equipment overboard, on shooting a wedding on water? ; Not sure the size of the boat but they are limiting the quests to 20 so probably not a huge boat. ; Also wanting wedding pics on the beach which would probably have to be early morning or late evening. ;

Advice?

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

the second shooter's main responsibility is to stay out of the way of the main shooter. ; be ready to shuffle gear around and focus on capturing candids and "posed candids". ; other than that, enjoy your day. ; it can be a grueling job, but a lot of fun at the same time.

3. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Thanks Tim. ; Did one wedding about 2 weeks ago but was sort of a shared first shooter thing with another amateur photog who was good friends with the bride. ; Wedding was very low key. ; Both bride and groom were in white, outside at high noon. ; Some pics were against a white barn and the main ceremony was under a white canopy which reflected the green grass. ; UGH!! Good experience for a first wedding though.

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Do you have an ultrawide lens? ; Might be a good time to add one - if you're shooting on a small boat, such as a private yacht, you could be dealing with very tight interiors and not a lot of room to back up. ; While the main photographer worries about getting THE shots of the ceremony and such, you can concentrate on some wide shots of the whole ceremony - back of room stuff that includes the attendees - scenics, boat shots to show the place and environment, spontaneous grabs, shots of family/attendees, etc. ; As Tim mentioned, first shooter should be given full control and leeway, and you can work on pickup shots and different types of shots that he might not be getting. ; Also, I'd bring a fast prime in a standardish length, and look to take some available light detail closeups, maybe some fun shallow DOF stuff, like flowers, ribbons, decor, bells, cake, etc.

5. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Thanks for the comments. ; Should be an interesting experience.

I do plan on staying out of the primary shooters way, she is the one getting paid the big bucks to get THE shots. ; Candid shots are more my forte anyway.

Just bought a 17-55 with IS and have a 50mm 1.4.

The primary shooter is one of my ER nurses. ; I think she is going to have fun bossing me around!!

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I can't remember if you shoot full frame or APS-C. ; On full frame, 17mm would be fine...on APS-C, you might want to consider going wider. ; Maybe it might be worth renting one, if you don't want to buy - something like the Sigma 8-16, Tamron 10-24, Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16, etc. ; If you're full frame, then anything in the 12-18mm should suffice.

The 50mm F1.4 should be fun for the detail and candid stuff...great for available light candids.