Using the AE-L/AFL lock button on your dslr

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Craig, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Using the AE-L/AFL lock button on your dslr

On the back of most new dslr's is an AutoExposure-Lock/AutoFocus-Lock button. This is an amazing button you need to check out. Most cameras allow you to program this button to many different functions related to auto focus and auto exposure. You'll probably have to scroll through some menus to find the location for programming the buttons function. On Nikons, you can then assign that progamming function to your "my menu" shortcuts so that you can quickly change the button's function based on your needs.

Here's a quick rundown of the functions. They basically are variations of the same thing. Most settings require you to hold down the AE/AF button while you take the picture.

-AE/AF--This setting locks both the exposure value and the auto-focus while you hold down the button, even after multiple shutter fires.

-AE lock only--Locks only the exposure as long as you hold down the button, even after multiple shutter fires.

-AE lock (reset on release)--this locks the exposure as long as the button held down for ONE shutter release.

-AE Lock (hold)--this is my favorite setting and the one I use most. This allows you to meter the sky, a face, whatever, press the AE button, and lock and hold the EXPOSURE VALUE. Here is the best part----It locks the EXPOSURE VALUE even if you switch between Aperture, Shutter, and Program modes!! As you change your aperture or shutter speed, the camera will continue to lock the Exposure Value for you automatically! It also will not reset until you push the button again or the meter turns off. So, you can easily fire off multiple shots without thinking about holding down the AE button. It also allows you to easily use your exposure compensation button to fine tune your exposure if needed!

-AF Lock Only- locks the auto focus as long as you hold down the button.

This is truly an amazing button on our cameras and makes taking pictures so much easier!
    What do you think? Do use this button? How do you use it?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

The only button I've started to use on my last trip was the AF-ON button to the right of the one you describe on our D300's. I'm still not sure exactly what it does, but I've noticed that if I depress and hold it after locking in the AF with the shutter release, it'll hold the focus

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

i have traditionally used it as...

-AE lock (reset on release)--this locks the exposure as long as the button held down for ONE shutter release.

granted my 5dMk2 has tons of new options that i have never had before (auto-ISO, etc.) so i might have to start experimenting.

4. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

I haven't experimented with any of these features yet, but I will explore these options. For now I have been doing alot of Manual shooting as it makes for a Great learning curve. Once I become more adept at setting all of these functions manually based on the scene, I will explore other options the camera provides.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

For a long time, before even digital, at least with Canon (don't know about Nikon), users would switch the function of AF/shutter release and the AE lock button, so the AF was started with the rear button, and AE lock was obtained via the shutter release halfway.

Finally in 2007, Canon introduced on the Edsel the AF button next to the AE Lock * button, and allowed users to set it to be active all the time, so you could keep the AE lock function off the shutter if you wanted to. Except for the Rebel series, all new Canons added this button. Nikon introduced it with the D3/D300, and it's on the D700 and D3x, but not the D90. However, I will have to say that Canon's has a slight advantage in that Nikon's WON'T activate the VR. Canon's will.

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Deniz showed this to me and though I used it a bit, I need to really practice and see what it'll do for me.

For me, I want the camera to do as much of the detail work as possible UNDER my control so, while manual has it's uses, I seldom go there. I didn't spend all this money to use it like my old Minolta from the 1970's. Must be the techie side of me. ;D