Universal gets rights to Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Roger, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Sources are reporting that Universal has locked up the rights for Middle-Earth in a theme park. With that being said, who do you think will get their done first?

Universal with Middle-Earth or Disney with a new Star Wars land or full them park?

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I would bet that Universal will be done first. ; I dont know if Disney has any plans in the near future to do anything in the parks with Star Wars. ; I would love a whole land (a park even better I that I seriously doubt will ever happen).

3. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Considering how awesomely they brought Radiator Springs to live at the west coast park, I think they could really do some immersive land building along the lines of Star Wars.

But, sadly, Star Wars is probably more of a parents-loved-it-so-now-kids-have-it-shoved-down-their-throat type of franchise as opposed to the more current Lord of the Rings. ; Albeit, those movies are probably way too dark for Disney. ; But, I would've argued the Pirates movies were too dark for Disney as well :)

I hope Disney starts seeing the gauntlet thrown and brings out the big guns for whatever they do.

4. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

The Clone Wars cartoon and Lego games have brought on a resurgence. ; My nephew is huge into Star Wars and I guarantee at least one of his parents has never seen the movies.

As for a LotR park, I could just imagine Gandolf playing park security and telling unruly patrons "You shall not pass!"

Sent from my iPhone...

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

One does not simply walk into Universal.

6. gary

gary Member

ok i'm really going to go against the grain here, i never want to see a lotr theme park/ride/whatever. ever. ; those books to me are the greatest good vs evil morality play ever written. i waited 30 years or more for whispers that some film director was actually finally going to do them justice, and they do, the extended release versions are 3 of the best movies ever made imho. they are the only films i have actually gone to the movie theater to see in the last 20 years (fellowship & two towers). i stood outside a store at midnight with about 20 of the other faithful waiting until 1 minute after because the store clerk would not sell it until the register clock would clearly show a sale after midnight to get the dvd release. so i just do not want such a serious piece of literature reduced to a quickie thrill ride. oh, and you kids get offa my lawn ;

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

The one who gets done first will be the one who throws the most money at it... Small problems like fast schedules can always be solved with cubic dollars.

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Nice!

I agree with Gary, they should leave it alone. ; Books were amazing and it was one of the few movies ever made from a book that I feel did a good job of bringing the story to the screen (Green Mile being another). ; Buuuuuuut, since they will not listen to me, I just hope that they do a good job with it. ; I wonder if they could get Peter Jackson to "help" out. ; I know that if/when this land/park opens that we will be there since I will NOT be able to keep my wife from it!

9. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Realistically, what could they do with LotR?

A Giant Eagle Dumbo-esque ride?
    A Wraith Coaster?
    A "Gollum's Grub" restaurant?
    A Worg petting Zoo?
    An Orc Meet-n-greet?
    A "Haunted Hordes of Helmsdeep" Haunted Mansion-like ride?
    A Hobbiton Hotel?

Wait, some of these are good ideas.

Sent from my iPhone...

10. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Okay, that was funny.

[attachimg=1]

Attached Files:

11. gary

gary Member

Well done"