Union Pacific 3985

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by lilo88, Oct 9, 2010.

1. lilo88

lilo88 Member

The Union Pacific Steam engine 3985 came through town on it's way to Pacific, MO this morning it's stopping at the first street station and will be there for 15 mins before continuing on its way, I just got video of it but my father is in Pacific (10 mins down the railroad) and has his new camera handy and will catch some pics that I'll post soon I hope. ; :)

Union Pacific 3985 is one of only two of the original 105 Union Pacific "Challenger" types in existence!

Heres a wikipedia article about it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_3985

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Love trains! ; Looking forward to some pics!!

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

3985 is impressive. ; You must see it if you can.

4. lilo88

lilo88 Member

I love trains to, the original plans were to go to Pacific as a family this morning but Dad had to go into work in Pacific this morning so he got off in time to see it and Mom and I just stayed here, glad he got to see it tho and we got to see it from the balcony of our apartment. Uploading his pictures now going to post them soon

5. lilo88

lilo88 Member

Finally lol here are some of the pics my father took with his Olympus pin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  6. HW

HW Member

nice shots

7. lilo88

lilo88 Member

I'll pass that along, thanks!

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Very nice shots! ; That thing is huge!

9. goofmick

goofmick Member

Very cool!!

10. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Definitely nice to see the old gal still running. ; I rode a fantrip behind it over Sherman Hill in 1985. ; Best trip ever.

11. lilo88

lilo88 Member

Thanks everyone, Yeah it looks huge and has so many wheels on the tenor its a wonder it can turn on curves at all lol. I was looking at some pics last night on the Internet of it since I knew I wasn't going to be able to see it up close in person. Sounds like an awesome trip ddindy!!

12. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Whoo thats one big train!

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

That thing is massive! ; Great shots!!

14. lilo88

lilo88 Member

Thanks!

15. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice shots! ; I like the glint-lighting in #2. ;

Sure is! ; It is the largest operating steam locomotive in the world and it set the record for the longest and heaviest train pulled by a steam locomotive in the 21st century when it pulled the Ringling Brothers Circus train from Speer to Denver on September 28th. ; The train was nearly 6,100 feet long and over 6,000 tons. ; Here's some video from the Ringling Brothers publicity department:

Ringling Bros.Circus Train and Union Pacific Challenger No. 3985 traveling to Denver

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

That style tender is called a "centipede tender" because of all of the wheels. ; The first two axles are mounted on a standard truck and are able to swivel like any regular freight car truck. ; The next 5 axles are mounted individually and are able to move laterally which allows the tender to make it around curves. ;

17. lilo88

lilo88 Member

Thanks for the video and facts about the tender (I thought what I said was wrong lol) Thanks again!

18. Paul

Paul Member

I just rode the locomotive of an Amtrak Passenger train on the Michigan Wolverine line for a work assignment and that thing is a toy compared to the UP 3985! ; Nice shots.

19. gary

gary Member

and i'll bet that track bed was non too happy, article in this months trains mag about efforts by parent road to downgrade the class to make amtrak foot the bill for maintenance.
    and if memory is correct the only steam locomotives bigger than the challengers were the union pacific big boys, michael?

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

According to the UP, yes. ; However, the real answer depends on what you use for the definition of "bigger." ; There was an interesting discussion on one of the railroad forums on exactly which locomotive was the biggest. ; Depending on what criteria you use for "bigger" you can come up with a couple of answers because there were heavier locomotives and stronger locomotives. ; If I can find it, I'll post a link to it.