Tree of Life Animal walks finished?

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Roger, May 7, 2012.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I noticed that Kevin Yee posted pics from the Tree. A branch fell off recently and now they have put overhead nets on the trails that have been reopened. He thinks the netting was assembled on a permanent basis which means Disney legal thinks more branches are likely to fall.

Basically it makes it harder to get a clear shot from the trails.

2. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

I read about this & will be very disappointed if this is the case. On the flip side, I can certainly understand their predicament. Although, knowing the size of those branches, what they are made of & how high they are, I wonder if the nets I've seen pics of will be enough to stop a falling branch.

3. gary

gary Member

aahhh it's ok, keeps down the arguments at the annual meeting of S.P.U.D. ; over the dolphobeagle ; ;)

4. mSummers

mSummers Member

That's disappointing... I'm glad I got the shot of the waterfall down there when I did.

5. ELinder

ELinder Member

I can't imagine it being permanent. I mean, if stuff is falling off now they've got major maintenance/overhaul problems. When storm season kicks in, it'll be raining tree parts.

Erich

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I can't imagine that the netting would look good at all. ; Shudder. ;
    Not to mention, how is a net going to stop a 1000 pound piece of metal falling 100 feet?

7. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

It's a Travesty I tell ya. ; :'(

8. Brother Jay

Brother Jay Member

^^ I just hope they have sorted it all out by fall next year.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

From the pictures I've seen, the posts and netting look surprisingly well done. ; The wood structure appease to have been aged, so some thought went into its construction which leads me to think that it might be there a while. ; My guess is that it is going to take some time until they have a chance to inspect the tree, figure out what happened and implement a fix.

Having said that, I hope the problem is fixed and the netting removed soon as it does detract from the theming.

I'm not going to speculate on the netting's ability to stop a falling object, but I'm sure legal wouldn't let them just throw something together without consulting an engineer.

10. Roger

Michael, I'm sure Legal's first response was to Shut.Down.Everything. Engineering got involved to prevent that. :)

11. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Roger, I know that would have been my wife's response. She is an Global Insurance / Risk Manager for the company we both work for. Trust me when I say it makes for some interesting conversations. ; ;D ; It is surprising how I find myself thinking more & more like her though. ; ;)

12. Roger

I've seen the other side as well, so I can understand. ; But we've come a long way from "accidents happen" to "something bad happened so it MUST be someone else's fault"