Tonight's Steel Cage Match: The 1DMk3 v. A55-SLT

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios Photos' started by Roger, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

In this corner, we have the former professional heavyweight champion of Canon Imaging[nb]before the scandal[/nb], weighing in at 2.94 pounds. ; It's got a sharp jab of 10 hits a second!

[​IMG]

And in this corner, we have the current lightweight champion of Sony Imaging, weighing in at just less than 1 pound. ; It too has a sharp jab of 10 hits a second!

[​IMG]

We're not sure that it was a fair fight. ; The A55 has 60% more pixels than it's heavyweight opponent, plus the heavyweight was using his "luxury" gloves, while the A55 was using non-OEM gloves. ; But we do have to remember why the heavyweight fell from grace.

2. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Not to be blunt, but what is your point?

3. Roger

Just trying to compare the two. ; For some reason I really still love the images the Mk3 produced. ; I think on my desktop size viewed the Mk3 image looks cleaner. ; 800 pixel size, not so much.

When they were in focus.

4. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

You have to go back and take this with the search lights on. ; Really, the SONY is fighting dirty here. ; ;)

5. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

That is cool. Perhaps a more fair comparison would be two images taken at the same time, with the same framing, and with the Sony's image down-sampled to match the the MKIII sensor size. It would be an even stronger and interesting comparison then.

The said focus issue was in AI focus mode only, under extreme daylight conditions, and with wide aperture lenses set at the corresponding widest aperture during the shot. I would not expect that the image here would have fallen under these conditions.

I actually like parts of both images to be honest and in the end both cameras take outstanding images.

6. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

How is the Sony fighting dirty?

7. Roger

Mine was all over the place. ; Camera reported images in focus and they were in the viewfinder but not on the sensor. ; Not just in daylight. ; Not just in AI focus. ; Maybe mine had an unrelated issue, but I couldn't trust it again, especially after several repair attempts.

8. Zeagle

Zeagle Member

Fair enough :)

9. Roger

True, but I wasn't trying to say which was better, just a glance at two very similar shots taken with different cameras/different systems.