The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Tim, May 1, 2012.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Source: WDW Magic.com
    'The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow' coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios this summer

A new Pirates of the Caribbean experience called 'The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow' will be debuting this summer at Disney's Hollywood Studios in the space previously used by the Narnia exhibit.

More details from the summer edition of the Mickey Monitor Annual Passholder newsletter.

Opening this summer at Disney’s Hollywood Studios®, The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow has elicited something of a legend of its own. The word around the Parks is that this mysterious new attraction will be a first-of-its-kind sensory experience in which Guests will have the chance to be enveloped by the world of the Pirates of the Caribbean® as seen in the four feature films. Sounds intriguing. To find out more, we had a chance for a friendly “parleyâ€Â

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Sounds good to me! ; I never saw the Narnia thing as I confess to having no knowledge or interest in it, so for me, it goes from wasted or unused space to possibly something interesting.

3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I hope that they aren't as strict about photography in there as they were with Narnia.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Never did Naria. ; What were the rules?

5. PolynesianMedic

There was NO photography allowed

6. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Did Narnia a couple times & remember the NO photography rule. Pirates sounds like it could be cool. Any idea on an actual date?

7. zackiedawg

Even if they go with no photography, might be a place that the mirrorless cams can sneak into for some stealth shots given they are small and innocuous looking like P&S cameras.

8. PolynesianMedic

This is true, might be worth a shot.

9. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

This sounds like a good addition, Narnia was a waste of time for me, and I liked the books and movies. We will have to wait and see about photography (fingers crossed).

10. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Apparently they said no photography and not no video, because the last time i went thru it (a few years back) i vidotaped nearly the entire thing. ; Poorly shot, but still had videocamera in hand the entire time. ; Ooops.

11. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Did they change the Narnia exhibit? ; When I went through it was no flash photography.

Of course, it's those guests who can't turn off their flashes that ruin that rule for future guests by changing it to no photography.

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

I never took the time to see the Narnia exhibit. ; The Jack Sparrow thing sounds interesting though.

13. zackiedawg

Funny side story - when I've had my NEX camera with me at Disney, I've had a few ride attendants warn me as I went in to not use my flash please...to which I humorously show them that my camera doesn't even HAVE a flash! (I usually disconnect the NEX flash system and leave it in the bag, since I almost never use it).

I know sometimes the 'no flash' requests become fairly automated by CMs, but it still gives me a little laugh that they couldn't just look at the camera and see fairly clearly that there's no flash on it. ; And what's even more funny: ; When they see someone with a big DSLR kit and pro-looking lenses and feel the need to ask them not to use flash, while 20 people with P&Ss and camera phones march by without warning - even though 99.9% of the people using flash in the rides are those same P&S/camera phone people who don't have a clue how to turn off their flashes!

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

I did the same thing when I had my D2Xs. ; Now, I just laugh to myself and continue on my way.

15. Roger

To be quite fair, the new pro level NEX has a pop-up flash that isn't visible when closed, nor is it apparent.

But that doesn't change what you said from being 100% true, because if someone is using the NEX-7 and has no clue how to turn off the flash, well, they shouldn't be using the NEX-7 to begin with.

16. zackiedawg

Yeah, the experienced photographer in me wants to think that people who have nicer cameras should know more about photography, yet the realist in me knows that there are more than a few people carting around full-frame DSLRs who have no idea how to manually adjust the aperture, nor what the result would be if they did. ; And the photographer side of me wants to think that people would understand what a built-in flash is and is not capable of, but the realist in me still sees every nighttime stadium event ever filmed filled with thousands of twinkling little flashes from 300 yards away.

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

And I'm sure the professional sports photographers don't want that myth to go away because it does create awesome backgrounds for their photos.

18. Roger

hence the green box on even the latest 5D version.