The huge waves of Hurricane Sandy (imgs) - stay safe northeasterners

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by zackiedawg, Oct 29, 2012.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

All you up north, stay safe, especially those near the coasts. ; Hurricane Sandy passed offshore of us Friday, but all day Saturday our winds were 40-50MPH, and then Sunday the winds started to fade, but I headed down to the beach to witness the huge seas kicking up in her wake. ; Let me tell you, Florida's version of 'waves', even on a stormy day, are usually 4-5 feet. ; These were 15-20 foot breakers, stacking on top of eachother, and completely running the entire depth of our 200-foot-wide beach, all the way back to the sea grasses and ocean ridge. ; The beaches were closed, but I braved ducking under the barriers for some shots of the waves coming in - even 200 feet away with 420mm of lens, I had waves hitting me knee-high standing in the sea grass 20 feet from the coastal road!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very cool shots Justin! ; I wish I was dealing with those blue skies right now.

3. zackiedawg

I went down to the beach with the idea of birding - I thought I might get some seabirds blown in from afar, and never even considered the waves would still be so large 2 days later...that's why I only had my big birding lens with me!

Indeed the skies had cleared for us yesterday...but the winds and waves were still high.

Today on the other hand is the most gorgeous we've had in 7 months - 70 degrees and sunny as can be, with not a single vestige of a cloud from horizon to horizon! ; (a relief from the 90+ degrees we've had since early April)

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Glad someone us enjoying some weather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

This storm is just huge. ; The satellite images are absolutely stunning. ; Justin, these are great. ;

6. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

DIDO. ; Stay safe!!

7. zackiedawg

Wow...looks like Forsythe Wildlife Refuge was underwater

I only know of this place from all of the photos posted there from Howie and Tim, as their birding spot...I happened to come across this photo while looking through the storm damage photos:

[attachimg=1]

Attached Files:

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

Great shots, Justin!

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

Wow! ; That's a lot of water... ; Very sad.

11. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

A lot of those storm damage photos are photoshopped so take them with a grain of salt... ; not to diminish the damage in any way.

12. gary

gary Member

cannot wait to get back full net. we never lost power as we are in the first service block out of the substation 3/4 mile south of my house. but no online. would have no phone if still had a landline. not necessary with 2 cells. and i wont pay for premium tapa so will have to wait to see these

13. zackiedawg

14. Paul

Paul Member

New Jersey Transit

Here are some images from the New Jersey Transit folks. ; We have been following the damage at work and there is a great deal of flooding in the tunnels. ; Will take sometime to dry out and check the the signaling systems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89454930@N07/

15. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

You mean the photo I saw of Godzilla walking out of the massive waves might be fake? ; That was one of the best pics I've seen of the storm.

Sent from my iPhone...

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

My favorite is the photo of the changing of the guard at Arlington that made the rounds on Monday that everyone thought was actually taken on Monday. ; Apparently that photo was taken in September by the wife of the colonel in charge of the old guard and someone took it off her Facebook page. ; Awesome photo none the less.

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

My favorite is the photo of the changing of the guard at Arlington that made the rounds on Monday that everyone thought was actually taken on Monday. ; Apparently that photo was taken in September by the wife of the colonel in charge of the old guard and someone took it off her Facebook page. ; Awesome photo none the less.