The Hat

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios Photos' started by Paul, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Paul

Paul Member

Tried taking a nice nighttime shot of the hat. ; Did this without my tripod (long story which I will post), just sat my camera on my bag and used the cable release. ; I am somewhat pleased, but lots of room for improvement. Using the bag is tough with positioning, reviewing the shot and repositioning.

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. gary

gary Member

that's not bad at all for no tripod, and what happened? you of all tmip'ers should never be without tripod, not after all the hours of practical tripod demonstration at mousefest

3. Paul

Paul Member

I put the tripod into the rental car every day and had the best intentions of going back to the car towards the end of the day so that I could use it at night for some of our night touring. ; It never happened. ; It was never convenient for me to go retrieve it since I was with the family and we were having such a good time, I felt like I did not want to break up the momentum by heading to the parking lot for the tripod. ; My one thought was to use a locker, but when I checked out the size of the lockers at AK, it looked to small to fit my tripod (collapsed length is approximately 27").

I really wanted to photo the July 3rd fireworks at MK and Illuminations+ at EPCOT on the 4th, but due to crowds I did not think it would be wise to use a tripod since there would be very little space to begin with.

I finally decided to use it on July 6th for Wishes since we were heading to MK after a day at EPCOT and I just carried the tripod for a bit.

I will need to plan better for Pixelmania; need to check locker sizes at each park.

And yes Gary, I retained much of what you and Tim showed me at Mousefest last year, just need to use that training more!

[attachment deleted by admin]

4. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

Very nice shots!

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I researched locker size for myself last year. ; According to one web site (I've forgotten which one), small lockers are 11"H x 9"W x 16"D and large lockers are 17"H x 12"W x 22"D. ; If you do the math, the longest interior dimension is just over 30 inches from front-top-left to back-lower-right. ; So theoretically your tripod will fit in a large locker.

Has anyone actually tried this?

I try to carry a little mini-tripod for those times I don't want to lug the big one around.

Beautiful shots.

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

The bigger lockers will fit; you may have to take the head off first. ; Still wondering why WDW hasn't installed the self-service lockers like DL yet. ; Pay by credit card, get the electronic code printed out...

7. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Nice shots-

My tripod just fits in the lockers with the ballhead pulled off.

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

That's a good shot of the hat, especially for not having a tripod.

I remember seeing a couple of threads in the past on locker size and whether a particular tripod fits in them. ; Does anyone think it would be a good idea to have a new thread, possibly in the General Park Discussion section that would list the dimensions of the lockers in each of the parks and then let everyone list what tripod and head they have been able to fit into each of the lockers? ; It might be helpful to gather all of that information into one spot

9. gary

gary Member

paul, great fireworks shot

mike, good idea, especially prior to pixelmania, so folks attending, but not wanting to carry tripods all day/night can plan ahead, maybe space allows doubling up and cost sharing on lockers

10. Bob D.

Bob D. Member

I'm amazed at the lack of people in this shot! ;

I've never tried using my bag when I didn't have a tripod, but garbage cans work well :)

Bob

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

12. Paul

Paul Member

It was near closing and I used a long shutter, so any people who did show up walked right through and out of the exposure.

Thanks for the link on the lockers, I should have researched that more.

13. Roger

What's this I'm reading that the hat will soon be gone?

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

did they happen to mention how soon?

15. Roger

I posted a link to Kevin's article in the other thread about Cars Land; My guess would be at the end of summer. ; But the quote is "sooner rather than later".

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at the article. ; I had a whole list of photos to take on my next trip, which would be January at the earliest, but if they start the demo that early, I may have to cross the hat and all of toontown off the list, which kind of sucks because I don't have a single photo of either.

17. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Nice shots Paul. Great Hat shot considering no Tripod.

18. BB3126

BB3126 Member

Tell me more about the hat being removed, I had notread or heard anything about that one.

19. mSummers

mSummers Member

There really isn't much information out there on that one... ; Roger posted a link to this article by Kevin Yee on MiceAge: ;
    http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky072109a.htm ;

In the article, Kevin states that he thinks the hat is going to be removed soon because "a WDI honcho who said publicly it would happen 'sooner rather than later.'"

20. BB3126

BB3126 Member

I tried an odd angle I sort of like it.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]