Telephoto and Widescreen Lens with Canon A590

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by pbb, Sep 25, 2010.

1. pbb

pbb Member

Besides my introduction post, this is my first thread that i have created. ; Love the website! ;

I was given a Canon A590 digital camera for fathers day 2 years ago. ; It takes great basic photos. ; Colors are nice and bright. ; We are staying at BLT with a lake view and Animal Kingdom Lodge with a Savanna View on our 25th wedding anniversary trip at the end of November for 7 days. ; Looking forward to a relaxing trip. ; After 4 back surgeries, I am looking for some new hobbies since Tennis is no longer on the list and restoring an old MGB is not going to be on the list for a while. ; Tough to get in and out of the drivers seat with a bad back. ; So, I am very new to this and have one or two novice questions. ;

Looking at Amazon.com in the accessory section, I have found that you can take the current lens off my Canon A590 and put an adopter ring on the body and install either a telephoto lens or wide angle/fish lens.

Is this worth it ? ; Can you get some decent shots with the new lens or not really ? ; Any suggestions would be appreciated! ; I could see these lenses being a lot of on the deck of the top of the world restaurant deck. ; I am starting to read about the fireworks.....so future questions might be on that subject!

Thanks!

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Welcome to the forums pbb!

My old S1IS had the same option - you can unscrew the ring around the lens, install this adapter, and then you can use filters, or add-on lenses.

Another person on the forum was thinking about getting one of the telephoto adapters, but I'm not sure if he ever did. ; Couldn't find any pictures with them. ; So I can't vouch for their quality or not; however, the cost is very minimal. ; So it might not hurt to try. ; But you will see some image degradation - it happens with any kind of teleconverter.

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I had something similar back with my Sony H5 ultrazoom...I had used the 1.7x teleextender lens often for my wildlife shooting, and must say the quality was quite decent - not up to DSLR standards, but a lot cheaper and smaller, so quite good enough even for making some 8x10 prints. ; I had also picked up a used wide angle converter, but honestly never got much opportunity to use it before I ended up getting a DSLR and started collecting lenses. ; I think as long as you get a decent quality converter lens, and as long as you don't expect DSLR quality, you don't loose too much over the standard quality of your camera's output when adding a converter - maybe a little lens abberation or purple-fringing sometimes - and you get a nice expansion of the lens' range. ; If you can get them cheap, I'd tend to think they're worth it, unless you're considering replacing the entire camera soon.

Oh...and welcome!