Steam!

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by ddindy, May 8, 2009.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Inspired by the beautiful train photos of mSummers, I decided to scan one of my favorite train shots.

This is C&O 4-8-4 614 pulling an excursion east out of Cincinnati on a crisp November day in 1980.

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

Wow! ; Awesome photo Dennis! ;

Its too bad Chessie stopped the steam program and CSX has no interest in starting one... ; I would love to see the big engines like this one run on the east coast again. ; ;

3. ddindy

Thanks. ; That's one of the few shots that qualified to hang on my wall.

I, too, miss the corporate excursions. ; An annual ritual during the 70s and 80s was riding or chasing the Southern Railway trips out of Louisville.

I'll have to dig through my 10,000 railroad slides and see if I have decent shots of some of the other major steam engines. ; I know I saw most of them; it's just a matter of getting a decent scan from contrasty Kodachrome 25 slides.

4. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Very Nice shot Dennis. I Love steam engines.

5. gary

gary Member

raise your hand if you've ever had a photo accepted by railpic.net

gary, put your hand down,

it's apparent we have more than one railfan on tmip

6. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

This is a great shot! ; Thanks for posting!

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Love steam trains, and I'd give anything to photograph them. ; Alas, no steam trains down here in Florida - at least not running - other than Disney.

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Yeah, I can understand. ; Our local one is under rehab right now (okay, rebuild, not rehab), so while their short-distance passenger excursions continue, they're using a 1960s diesel to pull.

9. ddindy

Thanks, everyone. ; It's fun to dig through the archives and relive the memories. ; I've scanned several more shots and will be posting them over the next few days.

Here are a couple of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge from 1982.

10. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

OMG I got coal dust in my eye from that one! ; (I'd say it was 1987/88)

11. PolynesianMedic

Cool shots! ; trains are cool, I wish I had some shots to post.

12. goofy101

goofy101 Member

Great shots

13. ddindy

For today's tribute to air pollution, we have two shots of UP 3985 in Wyoming in 1985.

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

There's nothing like the smell of coal smoke in the morning...

Nice shots Dennis!

15. goofmick

goofmick Member

Ditto what Micheal said. ; Very nice!

16. ddindy

Today we see Nickel Plate 765 pulling freight on the TP&W in Illinois in 1980. ; They did this to break it in for a fantrip the following weekend.

17. PolynesianMedic

Thanks for posting these Dennis! ; I had no idea there was so much difference in the way these old steam engines looked. ; My only real experience with steam engines has been Thomas the Tank Engine. ;)

18. ddindy

Cool, isn't it? ; And remember, these are just some of a handful that were preserved in museums and restored to working order. ; Back when all railroads used steam, each railroad rarely had more than 20 or 30 of any one type. ; It had to be a maintenance nightmare.

19. gary

gary Member

that and the fact that steam is maintenance intensive is what killed off steam, diesel electrics still carried 2 crew members, but could go longer distances without the stops for water, most maintenance requires only 1-3 mechanics, depending on the level of electrics involved, whereas steam required, machinists, plumbers, both journeyman and master level, coupled with the fact that the builders were constantly changing the models around made parts stocking a nightmare, this carried over to some extant with diesels, but is gone today, now everything is modular plug in mostly with each rr keeping model variations as minimal as possible
    union pacific led the way with the sd70, they found a model, prime mover and horsepower rating that worked for them, and that was what they ordered for years, standardized manuals, maintenance intervals and parts inventory followed, reduced training updates and reduced shop time

20. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Nice shots Dennis. I especially like the panning shot.