Star Wars Weekends 2012

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by ddindy, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

It's that time again: ; Star Wars Weekends are Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from May 18 through June 10 at Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Who's going to be at one of the weekends?

I'll be at WDW May 12-21 for the first weekend.

My Jedi friend here will be there all four weekends.

[​IMG]
    This IS the motorcade you're looking for!

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

This is an event that I really need to get myself to. ; I say it each year, but getting there for the Holidays keeps trumping it. ; I will be in NJ looking forward to your shots!

3. ddindy

You need to do what I did last June: ; fly down on Friday after work and return home on Sunday. ; Not really enough time for a first-time trip, but better than nothing. ; Do it on Memorial Day weekend and you can fly home Monday instead.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I might have to try to sneak Billy down with me as a surprise. I think he would go crazy. ; How crowded it does it get? Remember that he will only be six.

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Not this year since no AP until August. ; But that sounds like a great plan for 2013 when I have the AP! ;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ddindy

The park is busy, primarily around the SW events, but no worse than any other busy time of the year. ; The longest lines are for autograph fastpasses and limited-edition merchandise (those are the crazy people who line up the night before). ; If he wants to do Jedi Training Academy or Padawan Mind Challenge, sign up right at rope drop. ; The character photo lines can get long, too, so if he has favorite, go there first.

And since it's May and June, it will be hot. ; Seek out air conditioning at every opportunity.

Here are some more tips based on my experience from last year:

Start your day about an hour before rope drop. ; Stormtroopers patrol the roof over the turnstyles and do a little show.

The parade was at 12:40 pm last year and starts at the big gate beside Sid Cahuenga's, goes up Hollywood Blvd. and ends at the Hat stage. ; Be there at least an hour beforehand to get a good spot. ; I like to stand opposite the gate, near Oscar's, so you can see the units coming straight at you before turning.

There are special character meet & greet locations scattered around the park for SW characters, and one to the left of the hat for Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy in their Star Wars outfits. ; In addition, there are characters roaming around in a couple of areas: bad guys/girls/things hang around in the area around the Backlot Tour entrance and the good guys are in the area between the Muppets exit and the San Francisco mural.

There are several shows in the Premier Theater. ; One of them, Stars of the Saga, has a hilarious Stormtrooper pre-show.

Finally, Hyperspace Hoopla is performed around sunset on the Hat stage. ; You need to arrive at least 90 minutes early to get a good up-front spot. ; I've heard that you can also hang around the sides or back of the hat to get some off-stage shots of the characters. ; I'm definitely trying that this year.

Go to sww.studioscentral.com and download last year's schedule of events to get a feel for what's where and when. ; There's some variation from year to year, and the schedules are posted two or three days in advance. ; If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

7. I was there last year on June 11th, and 12th and DDindy is right on the money with his advice.

As for taking kids, I'd figure out what the must see character photo op is for your child and then try for that. My 12 year old son's was Chewbacca. Jedi Training Academy has such high demand during SWW that, if you can, you are better off saving it for another visit, as the sign up process is insane and spots for the whole day go quickly at the early AM sign up time.

Here is a link to my flickr account linking directly to my SWW shots http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlton-mom/sets/72157627132661754/

I got a lot of really great info from the Dis boards so I would advise you to monitor their SWW threads. Here is a link to last years SWW Dis board thread so you can study up and get an idea of what people experienced. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2652926

Keep in mind that this is last year's info, but it will give you a great idea of what to expect. There is probably a thread out there now with people posting about SWW 2012. Definitely check that out for changes to this year's festivities.

Good luck and may the force be with you!

~Joanie

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I LOVE going to these. ; I am also going to be there at least 2 of the weekends, but I probably like to go to all 4 weekends.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I just realized a couple of days ago I will be there for the Memorial Day Star Wars Weekend. I will be attending on the 27th due to the cruise. ; Thanks for all the tips!

Jeff, is that one of the days you will be attending?

10. PolynesianMedic

It certainly can be, Scott. ; I have not planned what days I am going but if I know when people are here and attending, I can sure make every attempt at being there with them to enjoy it with other Star Wars / Disney / Photography enthusiasts. ;)

11. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

We'll be down May 31 thru June 5 for SWW. Maybe we can catch up with some of you.

For a trip of this length, would anyone recommend planning to spend more than one day of our vacation at SWW? Can you do it all in one day or are we better off doing multiple days? Is the parade the best opportunity for photos?

Anyone have any recommendations for lenses? The 70-200 f2.8 is my favorite for parades. I rent it but its fairly expensive and heavy to lug in the parks. I was considering trying the 24-120 f4 for price, light weight, and wider angle. I shoot with a D300s.

12. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Dave,

I'll just miss you guys! ; Looks like we will be returning (via Rochester at this point) on the 30th.

13. PolynesianMedic

Dave the parade is easy to see if you are early enough to catch a spot. ; Same with the Hoopla at night. ; There are character meet and greets all over the park, and all you would need is that 24-120 to get great shots. ; You can walk up to the area where they are taking the character photos and grab a shot between their shots with the guests if you want a solo character shot. This is easy to do, and they almost always see you doing it and pose for you.

14. ddindy

Here's my tip for 70-200 users: ; Rent a locker and put the lens in it when you arrive. ; An hour before the parade, grab the lens and stake out a spot near Oscar's. ; Shoot the parade, then put the lens away until Hoopla.

Can you see it all in one day? ; It depends on what your definition of "all" is. ; You can see the pre-rope drop show, the parade, Hoopla and get in a few character meet & greets in a day easily. ; If you want all of the characters (there are 8 locations, most with rotating characters), all of the walk-around characters, all of the stage shows (four of them in the Premiere Theater), celebrity autographs and some shopping (the all-inclusive package), plan on at least two days.

15. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

Thanks for the tips everyone!

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Locker renting is a Disney photographer's best friend.

17. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I don't have my booking all figured out yet, but looks like I'll be spending some chunk of time up at Disney somewhere between May 19 and May 28 - unknown how many days - probably at least 6-7. ; Part of that time will be days spent at a conference, with nights occasionally free...plus a few days with no conference to enjoy Disney. ; May or may not have a family member with me. ; Likely staying on Disney property, but do not know where yet!

I have a corporate conference at the Marriott World Center again that runs from May 21 through May 24. ; I'll probably take May 25 off of work since it's a Friday - and besides, the final night is always a blow-out concert and bar-fest so I don't want to drive home in the wee hours for work the next morning! ; So essentially, that gives me the weekend before, the week of the conference, the extra day off, then the following weekend PLUS Memorial day. ; Work will cover the cost for the 5 conference nights, the others would be on my own. ; It's more a matter of how much I'd want to pay and how much time I can get away. ; My grandmother is valiantly hanging on, longer than we expected, so we just have no idea if and when she will be passing on, and that's made planning any trips difficult. ; I will know more as I get closer and start to plan out the days to go, and whether any family comes with me.

18. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I agree with Scott, locker rentals are great. ; I also like a stroller and, not that my kids are out of a stroller, have been know to take a stroller along just to use as a pack mule.

19. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

I will be there for 2 of the weekends, May 25-27 & June 1-2.

Justin, ; Scott is planning a photo walk that it looks like Jeff & myself will be attending, would be great to see you along as well. Also, anyone else that can make it. ; 8)

20. NitroStitch

NitroStitch Member

We tend to avoid holiday weekends because the crowds are nuts during a lot of them... ; How are the Memorial Weekend crowds? ; Busy or insane or somewhere in between? ; :D