St. Maartin Thrill Excursion

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by jbwolffiv, May 16, 2013.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

http://twistedsifter.com/2013/05/plane- ... nt-martin/

I know that some of these shots may have been photoshopped, but I was on this beach back in 1991 with my father and watched an Air France 747 make final approach and land right over our heads. ; It was insane. ; You can find videos on YouTube that show this going on as well.

2. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

There was a TV show on Discovery Channel about the worst airports for pilots to fly in to. ; This was one of them, so not photoshopped.

Sent from my iPhone...

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I've been there a few times, and indeed depending on the plane, they can get that close - no photoshop needed. ; I've seen the big 747s come in as fence grazers - low tens of feet off the top of the fence bordering the airport property by the perimeter road. ; More fun is when the big guys have to take off...they need every bit of that runway, so they back themselves right up to the very end of the runway, exhaust pointed at the road and beach - and watching the drunks line up on the fence to 'ride the exhaust', and those on the beach doing the same, as the jet guns it for takeoff, is quite hilarious!

4. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

By a strange coincidence, Jay Griffith (@cessna157) was down there today and posted a few videos. ; Jay's a commercial pilot himself, so I'm sure he got a kick out of seeing it in person.