Sorcerer Hat

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios Photos' started by dawholagn, Nov 14, 2006.

1. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Here's a shot of the Sorcerer Hat with a bit of selective cropping to try to add a little interest. I was aiming to capture something a little different than the standard "postcard" shot that I usually take.
    [​IMG]

2. Scott

Scott Member

You succeeded in capturing a different, unique view. Nicely done. When I was there last week, there was a stage in front of the Hat, so you couldn't get a standard postcard shot even if you wanted to!

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

don't tell me that dreaded holiday stage is there again ??!!@#*&$

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

4. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Why in the world do they do these dumb things at the Studios? First you create a wonferul theater replica, then you cover it up with a big sorcerer hat... and now you add a stage? What is with their obsession with covering major points of interest? :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  5. Scott

Scott Member

Yep, the stage is there! They just had their "ABC Super Soap Weekend", so maybe (please!) they'll take it down now. It really does spoil the sight-lines in the Park. Does anyone remember when the Hat wasn't there, and the Great Movie Ride building was the centerpiece of that area?

6. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

I sure do! And in MHO I thinik it was much better that way. I like the hat; but I feel it needs to be moved.

7. yeah, I hate that stage in front of The Hat too! This is the only angle I could take without including the dreaded stage or the store underneath The Hat

[​IMG]

8. joedisney

joedisney Member

I love that photo, great perspective Kelly!

9. it's my typical laying-on-the-ground shot. :-\ After a while it gets boring. :'( I really have to expand my shooting style.

10. Tim

here's the hat photo that lou raves over...

...looks a little better without the stage, huh? lou has mentioned this on mousetunes a few times before. here ya go, buddy...

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

11. joedisney

joedisney Member

Tim I have a similar one, but I was standing a bit off to the left of where you were, plus there was a WDW security guard waiting for me to finish up :D I think we were the last people in the park, my wife was not amused ;D
    [​IMG]

12. Tim

that is fantastic, joe. i have to remember that angle for next time. the colors are awesome as well. mine looks all muddy and blah in comparison. good work.

13. joedisney

joedisney Member

Thanks Tim, I do like to over saturate my photos. I just wish I had shot all my images in RAW while at WDW, now that I look back I could have done much better. Oh well, time to plan a new trip :D

14. gary

gary Member

oh yea, there's that velvia again, i'm upgrading to ps 7 just so i can get that action to work, love those saturated colors, velvia 50 was my choice back in the day when i ventured into medium format, still have my mamiya 6 setup
    gary

15. joedisney

joedisney Member

Sorry I could not help you out more Gary. I know what you mean about the velvia, its a bit addicting. I find my self adding it to all my photos.

16. joedisney,

if you like using film emulation, I'd recommend Alienskin Exposure. It comes with 100+ BW and Colour film emulations.

http://alienskin.com/exposure/index.html

It's not a cheap plugin, but to me it's priceless.

17. gary

gary Member

all right i'll throw my hat ikn the ring as they say, june 2002
    gary

18. dawholagn

dawholagn Member

Thanks, Gary! This is the first I've seen of the hat in full "100 Years" mode. I was there in 1999 for my honeymoon, so I missed all the 100 years hooplah. I tried to push for 2002 but the wife refused. Now a days, i don't think she would have minded so much! ;)

19. Scott

Scott Member

Kelly - Great angle. When the "standard view" is blocked, go for something else. Well done!

I was lucky enough 2 years ago to get the "standard view" (from a trash can!!).

[​IMG]

20. Thanks Scott. Your shot is the shot I actually wanted to make during that trip. Regardless, I'm not into saturated colours but every single night shots you took have a super saturated colour which, in this context, I absolutely adore.