SO..........what are you gonna buy next?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Tim, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

new camera body? lens? gizmo? wizbang? software?
    what is the ONE thing you are planning on buying NEXT?

for me... a friend's 28-70 f/2.8 L - chisel that one in stone.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Well, if you had asked me last week, 100/2.8 USM Macro

But anyway:

5D or equivalent FF camera ASSUMING that the 24-70/2.8L IS comes out.

If it doesn't....I don't know.

3. vantonni

vantonni Member

i started looking at ultra wide lenses. 15mm or so to use on my 20D. though I saw a leica-R 250mm f.4 lens that just rocks (i got a 180 and it is awesome but heavy) and leica lenses can that can attach via an adapter to my EOS cameras. you have to shoot in A mode but thats part of the fun.

i got the 28-70 2.8 and its really good. heavy but good. but I also got at the same time the 135/2L and that lens is fantastic. it immediately became THE lens that has to go to disney so i build my travel kit around it.

4. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

Well- since I just got my Sigma 10-20mm I guess next on the menu is the Nikkor 18-200vr if I could ever find one. Then I could replace my Tamron 18-200.

5. Dan

Dan Member

While others are going wide, I want to go long. So I'm looking at something like the Canon 300 F4 IS, or 400 F5.6. I want the IS and wider aperture of the 300, but the reach of the 400. I'm kind of conflicted. But it'll be a while until I have the money to get either one, so I have time to figure out what's more important to me.
    Or for intriguing variety, there's the option of the 300 F4 NON IS plus a 1.4 TC. A bit less sharpness, but also a bit less cash and the ability to go wider as well.

6. waiting for Sigma 18-200 OS ;D

7. barrie

barrie Member

That's my next buy too - if you find one, let me know!

Last toy I bought was this remote control - best $20 I ever spent. I love it.

8. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

When is that supposed to be available? I've about given up on Nikon's 18-200vr :mad:

9. Supposedly in "Spring 2008", which considering our global warming situation, that may be equivalent to December 2008. ;D

10. jann1033

jann1033 Member

sigh, my list keeps just getting longer but next up is a either 200mm f2.8 or 70-200 f4 and a flash then comes a good wide angle( feel in love with some of the landscapes on some sites i was looking at so now that's a "gotta have") then will come a better macro then i'm saving for a body upgrade...so that ought to be around 2020 or so ::)

11. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

:mad: - They need to quit announcing these things before they are prepared to ship me one. I am soooo not a patient consumer.

12. Tim

possibly add the canon 100-400 L IS/USM to the list for me....

13. is that the one with "pump action"?

14. Tim

i don't know but that sure sounds exciting...... :eek: ??? ;D

15. WillCAD

WillCAD Member

Just got it - I bought a used Canon Speedlite 420EX from eBay. It's in perfect condition and the person I bought it from even included a set of rechargable batteries (not that I needed them, I already have plenty).

16. I just checked, it is the one with "pump action" (push/pull zoom). I've rented that lens a long time ago and it's a dust vacuum. As long as you're aware of that caveat.

17. Tim

isn't it sealed?

18. this model is not weather/dust sealed. I tried this lens on my 20D a couple of years ago and after one full day testing it in a relatively dusty area, my sensor needed to be cleaned right away whereas my other 20D coupled with 70-200 f/2.8L IS was pristine.

Supposedly, as long as you don't pump the zoom too quickly, it won't suck dust. On the other hand, the beauty of the pump-action is the ability to zoom in and out so very quickly.

19. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Uhh there's a little rubber ring at the base for those who own SLRs that have a mount that will seal. Something that isn't valuable enough for all of the FFs.

But I have read about a few defects with an inner seal. QC issue probably.

Probably also why it's rumored to be replaced next month.

20. I did not know that. Maybe the one I rented had defective inner seal.

Do you know anything about the 17-55 f/2.8 IS? It sucks dust a tiny bit too on both my copies (both were bought brand-new, one for walkaround another for back up)