Snow Pics

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by haunteddoc, Jan 30, 2007.

1. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Since it is nothing but snow in Indiana right now, I have been trying my hand at taking some winter pics. So far I have been a miserable failure. If I meter for the main subject the snow is all blown out. If I meter for the snow the main subject is underexposed. I have seen several winter pics that look absolutely great.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Ahh, that problem.

Two suggestions:

Meter a 18% gray card under the light you will be shooting under, or....

Graduated neutral density filter. Cokin mount? Back in the days of film I had one that was blue at the top, clear at the bottom. Great for getting rid of the smog with DL pics.

http://www.adorama.com/CKP121.html?sear ... &item_no=9

Just because in the sample pic the ND is at the top, you can always turn it over.... and the filter is good for sunrise/sunset pics...

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

use your exposure compensation in the camera and fill flash if you are able for the main subject. exposure comp. is a series of +/- adjustments that "overrides" your camera's metering to produce the desired effect. snow will cause the camera to underexpose because the camera wants to return an 18% gray out of a white snowbank, so it's going to make the snow look gray. try moving the exposure comp. about 1 stop to the + side and see what happens.

4. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

I am guessing that I should be using spot metering instead of evaluative etc? Also, I have been using Av mode at f/22 or there bouts.

5. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Av mode is "semi-auto". as you make your f/stop smaller and smaller, the camera will slow down the shutter accordingly to maintain the same exposure. you need to use exposure comp. to 'over-rule' your camera. changing the f/stop is only changing your depth of field, NOT your exposure. either switch to full manual and experiment or use the EC to modify the semi-auto. eval. metering is fine in this instance, no need to spot meter.