Show me some HDR

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Jeff Fillmore, May 5, 2010.

1. Jeff Fillmore

Jeff Fillmore Member

So I am in the process of evaluating CS5 30 day trial to see if it is something I want to spend the money on- and one of the big improvements is HDR. ; ; I never had much luck with using HDR in CS3 and have never used any of the specialized programs like Photomatix. ; Please share some HDR images created from two or more merged files, and tell how many images, tripod or handheld, what software you used, etc.

The three images below are eached merged from a 9 shot bracket from -4EV to +4EV done on a tripod, then merged in CS5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Can't say I'm really that into HDR myself...I've played with it here or there, but generally always preferred a more natural look to my own photos. ; I think I've only ever done maybe 2 true HDR stacks - and didn't have much luck at them either - but I also didn't use any specialized HDR software. ; When HDR comes out with a more natural look, I can see the advantages - it can be fine tuned from mild to wild. ; Wild is ragingly popular the past few years, but there's also a few milds out there too.

Ironically, I do use HDR a lot with my current cam, mostly because I can do it in-camera, handheld, without taking any more time or thought than snapping a regular photo. ; Plus, unless the setting is cranked to the max, it comes out more on the 'natural' side. ; In fact, quite a few photos I post I don't even bother to mention the HDR aspect, because I'm using it more as a way to recover shadows without processing or noise from gained-up shadows.

Here's a quick selection of in-camera HDR shots I've taken with the A550 - most of which weren't going for any fantasy appearance, but just dealing with unbelievably harsh afternoon sunlight, deep shadows, or hard contrast situations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All two-shot HDRs, varying from +1 to +2 EV, aligned and stacked in camera, no processing.

I'm sure we're going to see some wild n crazy HDR stuff in here - there are some true artists who can really create some bold and beautiful art with HDR. ; I'm not one of them - even though I don't really go for that in my own photos, I do still enjoy looking at and admiring those who really know how to put it together right, and pairing it with good composition skills.

3. hulagirl

hulagirl Member

I haven't attempted HDR yet so I can't help there but holy cow, Jeff! ; Where can I buy number one? ; :D ; I have a special feeling for that rollercoaster. ; I tackled my fear of them, on that ride. ; Twice!

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

These shots are all fantastic! ; Thanks for sharing.

5. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Last year, I took these pictures pre-planned as HDR. Since then, I haven't done it.
    I purposely chose these compositions because I wanted to either combine the natural light with the building lights without blowing either, or during the day I wanted to emphasize and see the dark balconies on both buildings.
    They are 7 shot auto-bracketed from -3 to +3. they are handeld, with the camera set to high speed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mousefan

mousefan Member

Very nice pics guys. ; I myself really enjoy HDR so the more the merrier! ; Rock-n-Roller coaster pic is tops.

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

I got most of mine posted about TMIP so these are repeats. All are done in Photomatix Plugin for Aperture.

[​IMG]
    +2, 0, -2 (Hand held)

[​IMG]
    +2, 0, -2 (Hand held)

[​IMG]
    +3, +1.7, 0, -1.7, -3 (Tripod)

[​IMG]
    +2, 0, -2 (Tripod)

8. prettypixie

prettypixie Member

REALLY nice pics.

9. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great additions guys. ; Craig, my favorite one is the last one.

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work everyone! ; Like Justin, I use HDR as a way to recover lost highlights or shadows in an image in an effort to reproduce the full range of light that my eyes saw when I took the picture. I also prefer to keep mine pretty natural looking most of the time. ; I don't use an actual HDR program, instead I use layers and masks in photoshop to get what I'm looking for. ; Here's a couple of my favorites:

[​IMG]

2 or 3 images.

[​IMG]

2 images

[​IMG]

4 images

[​IMG]

3 images

11. Paul

Paul Member

Nice stuff everyone

12. Using a trial version of Photomatix
    [​IMG]

13. Paul

Paul Member

Nice view!

14. jtrain75

jtrain75 Member

LOVE the waterfall pic and the Rock N Roller photos!!! I only tried one HDR photo but plan on doing more when I go to WDW in 18 days.

15. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

mSummers, very nice images. ; THAT is how HDR should be done, in my opinion!

16. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks Tom!

17. dishippy

dishippy Member

Here are some of my recent tries at HDR. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

18. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Nice work Dishippy! ; That's my kind of HDR - nice dynamic range, realistic scenes...looks good!

19. dishippy

dishippy Member

Thanks a lot! I've been doing the HDR stuff a lot lately, learning how to correctly tone map them and what not. I've been trying my hardest to keep my HDR's looking as real as possible while still getting that dynamic range. Great to see that it's working. ; ;D

20. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

lookin good dishippy!