Sending in the 18-200 for repair

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by Craig, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

After about 20,000 clicks, something happened to my favorite lens, the 18-200. Behind the front element and on part of the focusing mechanism there appears to be two "burned" holes with streaks going out to another lens element.
    I am sending the lens into Nikon for warranty repair.
    The lens is about 2.5 years old, luckily I bought a USA lens and not gray market!

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Oh, ugly. ; Let us know how it turns out and how much time Nikon took to turn it around. ; I'd be lost without that lens. ; Only lens I wish Nikon would duplicate in FX at 28-300 (I know there's a Tamron version but would gladly pay for Nikon quality and glass.)

3. goofmick

goofmick Member

Yikes!! ; Good luck on that.

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Ouch! ; keep us updated.

5. Craig

I'm back in business!
    The repair went flawlessly. Nikon recieved the lens by ups on 6-11. on 6-13 I received an email showing the lens was in the system and detailing the no cost warranty repair.
    I recieved the lens yesterday on 6-25. I'm very happy with the turnaround time. I was expecting a much longer time.

The details:

adj infinity focus
    General check and clean
    RPL SWM ( replaced the autofocus motor)
    RPL front element lens
    adj auto focus operation

The repair left no tool marks or any sign of being worked on.
    I am very pleased and very happy that I bought a USA lens for the extended warranty.

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Wow. ; Did you know your motor was going out?

7. Craig

nope, no clue! It never stopped working, and the flare on the lens doesnt show in any photos, so I just kept using it until we got home from WDW. Every picture from my June 2009 WDW trip was taken with the "broken" lens!