See the future... Fujifilm's FinePix Real 3D this fall.

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Roger, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I mentioned it a few days ago, with Nikon's takeover bid for Metris NV...but Fuji is the first to market.

With a 3D camera. ; Supposedly you'll be able to view 3-D images without special glasses, and they have a special printing process to do the same.

Should be interesting.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/3d/ ... index.html

2. Dan

Dan Member

Hmm, very interesting indeed. ; I have toyed with taking stereo pictures many times, just crudely taking stereo pairs and combining them later. ; It can make for neat pictures, but having two imaging systems taking pairs at the same time is definitely better. ; And the capability to take 3d movies is really cool.

I'm especially interested in the 3d LCD. ; This technology has existed for a while, Sharp came out with a 3d LCD monitor for computers, the 3d component was only supposed to add a small amount to the product's cost, but it never seemed to make it big. ; The only prices I ever saw were significantly higher than comparable monitors. ; I don't think they ever got up to proper volume production where they might have gotten the price down.

3. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Very interesting indeed. I too like the 3d LCD Monitor. I read an article sometime ago about 3D TV that you would be able to view with no glasses. The technology was fairly basic really. It consisted of having hundreds of thin "screens" (Kind of like onion skin paper used by cartoonists) each displaying a slightly differing images so that the picture takes on depth. Then the picture is also different depending upon where you are sitting in the room while viewing the TV. I Love Technology.

4. Dan

Dan Member

Actually.. they had a 3d tv system at Epcot a while ago, one of the products being displayed at Innoventions. ; I remember that I wasn't too impressed, it looked weird, but not entirely like proper 3d.

It looks like there will be a specialized 3d monitor/picture frame released in parallel with the camera. ; I almost find that more interesting, that they'd release a camera coupled with such a specialized bit of hardware. ; If they could make that thing capable of operating as a 3d computer monitor at the same time, even if it's smaller, I'd be a lot more interested in it.

As it is I'm quite happy viewing stereo pictures by simply crossing my eyes. ; No special hardware required, you can take the pictures with a normal camera by just moving it to the side and taking a second shot, and it's really not that hard to learn how to view stereo pairs by crossing your eyes. ; You just can't use this on moving objects since the two pictures are taken at different times.

For those so interested, check out the Nvidia stereo shutter glasses system for PCs. ; I've had a chance to try this, it's a lot better than the previous stereo shutter glasses that have been available for PC use. ; The system requires a monitor with a high refresh rate, 120hz, few LCD monitors are capable of that at the moment. ; But if you have a monitor that can do that, the effect is impressive. ;

As it is I neither have a monitor that's fast enough, or use a new enough OS, Nvidia has apparently decided that they'll only bother to support Vista for that system.

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Vista? ; Vista is a dead operating system. ; Microsoft can't sweep it under the rug fast enough. ; Vista's damage has been done however....my office will be ready for an upgrade to the next gen OS sometime next year...and by then most of our main software will be thin-client, so I'm starting to look into virtualization for the "still have to run on Microsoft" software. ; Probably use another OS in our office since we don't aggressively use Exchange server.

Anyway, ; Nikon is supposed to release a P&S next week that has a built in projector. ; Wonder where that will head in the future....I plan on seriously looking at this Fuji when it's released however.

6. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Interesting stuff all.

7. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

All I can say is that when reading the title to this thread, I hear

"See the ball, be, be the ball Danny"