scuba bubbles...

Discussion in 'Epcot Photos' started by Tim, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

from the living seas in 2004
    [​IMG]

2. joedisney

joedisney Member

cool capture!

3. Dan

Dan Member

Just because I recently ran across a technical explanation of what's going on, for a completely different reason.. I offer this:
    The ring shape is known as a vortex ring. It appears to be the same mechanism as that behind smoke rings.
    Oddly enough.. if you've ever seen one of those "airzooka" toys, they blow a blast of air a reasonable distance, I seem to recall them being sold in Disney World somewhere, but I'm not sure where.. anyway, they shoot a vortex ring of air into the air. They're really neat because they don't exactly blast out a high volume of air like a fan.. but the vortex ring effect keeps the air focused and when it hits you it's rather startling.
    I suspect that the recent redo of Pirates of the Caribbean added a vortex ring air cannon into the fort siege scene. This has only happened to me twice in that ride after many trips through, some of you may never have gotten it.. but in the siege scene every once in a while I seem to get hit with a very startling blast of air. I suspect that the rather unique sound that you can hear in the siege scene.. the sort of meaty whoomp sound, may be the vortex cannon firing. There's a hole in the fort (presumably supposed to be battle damage) that I'm thinking might be the port that the cannon fires through.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  4. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Tim,

I really like this shot but how did you get the mickey mouse camera in the water?

Dr Jim

5. Tim

that is my site logo and is added in by the gallery software

6. Tim

dan, that is an interesting explanation for that effect. one of my little cousins got an airzooka for christmas and it was really powerful from across the room. we spent quite a bit of time shooting napkins out of each others hands from 20-30 feet and it was surprising how hard the air actually hit.

7. haunteddoc

haunteddoc Member

Tim,

I knew it was your logo. I was trying to make a joke. Guess it missed big time. Anyway, still think it is a great pic.

Dr Jim

8. Tim

oh.... my bad. i read that while i was half asleep and didnt get it. joke's on me. actually it does kind of look that the whole obi-wan kenobi thing in the water, doesnt it?