Remote Shutter Release help

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by jbwolffiv, Jul 2, 2012.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I was wondering what some of you use. ; I have the simple remote that Nikon makes for their cameras but was looking for something more before this summers WDW trip. ; I guess I want to be able to control the length of the exposure as well as maybe set up for it to take shots one its own. ; Any ideas or suggestions?

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

Which camera do you have?

3. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I just use the standard Nikon remote. ; I've rarely needed anything longer than the camera's maximum exposure time of 30 seconds in manual mode - even when shooting fireworks with an ND filter.

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I have a D7000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

That's correct. ; The MC-36 multifunction remote only works with cameras equipped with the 10 pin jack which the D7000 does not have. ; If you have an iPhone 4, the Triggertrap app may be an option. ; It functions as a remote with the ability to set the length of the exposure and also has an intervalometer function, both available in the free version of the app. ;

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Roger, Dennis and Michael. ; No to decide if the remote I have is enough or not.

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Have you ever looked at the Vello Shutterboss?

[​IMG]
    Click here

Available in Wired and Wireless....

9. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I had the wireless one in my "wishlist" at B&H, just not sure I would need the wireless function. ;

10. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

It can be used wired or wireless. ; The parts can but don't have to connect together.

11. mSummers

mSummers Member

John, ; can you give us a better idea of exactly what you're trying to do with the remote? ; If the shot's you're trying to take are under 30s, the stock remote should work fine. ; It will also take pictures on its own by locking the shutter release in the "on" position on the remote. ;

12. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I found an iphone app that I am going to try out. ; By using a headphone extension jack and soldering on a couple of ir dohickeys it will send the ir signals to the camera. ; Plugged directly into the iphone it is wireless, using the extension jack and banding it to the lens makes it wired (so as to stand behind the camera).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Mostly being able to set longer than 30 second exposures as well as set it to repeat itself after say 1 second throughout a show.

14. mSummers

mSummers Member

If you're trying to do shots longer than 30s and the automatic repeat at the same time you definitely need a remote with some sort of intervalometer function. ; Shots longer than 30s without a repeat requirement could be done with a stopwatch in bulb mode.