Raw Pirates, no mirror - Why not?!

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by zackiedawg, Oct 7, 2014.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I broke one of my rules this past trip to Disney - after experimenting with my A6000 mirrorless in JPG at very high ISOs and finding it did pretty well, I decided to set it this time to RAW shooting...I don't like to shoot RAW mostly because it means more time sitting at the computer and processing, but every once in a while I'll do it - and these dark rides with high ISO are one of the few occasions for me where it's worth the time to pull out some more detail and make the harsh lighting a little easier to adjust. Lens again was the 35mm F1.8 OSS stabilized lens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is one of those that really benefits from the RAW - it needs ISO12800 due to the very low light, and the light is horribly red, to the point the in-camera WB controls really can't handle it quickly enough:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took this shot in JPG in July at ISO12800 - it was usable, but much more smeared and the yellow cast was stronger, so I think the RAW version at ISO12800 comes out better in detail:
    [​IMG]

I even *almost* got the hardest shot in Pirates...unfortunately I was not able to get enough shutter speed even at ISO12800 and F1.8, so at 1/15 I got a little motion blur - but it's as close as I've been able to get of this darned skeleton!:
    [​IMG]

2. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

fantastic set Justin!

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Wow! Really great stuff Justin!

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Thanks guys. I guess it's worth shooting RAW every once in a while at Disney. ;) Though I admit I love coming home from a Pixelmania, and having all my shots loaded, sorted, and ready to post by the second day home. I'm too A.D.D. or impatient to spend any more than a few hours working on photos on the computer, before I get antsy and want to go shoot something!