Prime lens

Discussion in 'Buying and Selling' started by PolynesianMedic, Aug 23, 2024.

1. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I got my Sony A9 about a year ago and am now looking to add a prime lens to the bag. Since I am using a full frame camera, I am trying to decide between the Sigma 30mm F1.4, which I can get for about $350, or try to find a 50mm F1.4. The Sony 50mm is like $1250, and I am not looking to spend that kind of money. I am mostly going to use the 30mm for dark rides in the beginning, as I need to get a faster lens than the Tamron 28 - 200mm F2.8-5.6 that I currently have. I also have the Sigma lens adaptor to be able to use Canon EF mount lenses on my Sony, so I could go with the Canon 50mm 1.8 or 1.4. I'm open to thoughts and ideas.

Sent from my SM-X810 using Tapatalk

2. gary

gary Member

i feel that you should use brand lenses, sony with sony, that always seems to work the best , for dark rides i would recommend a 35 mm i myself feel 50mm is a little too tight, the animatronics are closer than you think in the rides. one suggestion would be to go to lens rentals and rent the sony 35mm f1.4 for a week and see if you like it, if you do then start saving and keep an eye on the keh used stock, sometimes they show up
    another lens to consider is the sony 35mm f1.8, not quite as fast or sharp as 1.4 but still a respectable lens, and half the price of 1.4

Last edited: Aug 23, 2024
    PolynesianMedic likes this.
  3. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I forgot about KEH, I'll have to look. Thanks for the reminder!! I do want something fast and sharp, for sure! I spent the money on the camera, now it's time to invest in the glass for it, I guess. LOL

Sent from my SM-X810 using Tapatalk