Port Orleans Riverside

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by HPS3, Apr 12, 2012.

1. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

Nice. How did you like that resort? We were originally booked there because I was unable to get my first choice (Coronado Springs), but it opened up & I moved my reservation over. I just told the folks here that staying there would probably made me feel like I was home & thus destroy the feeling of being on vacation. Forgot to mention in the other thread that I live in Houma.

3. HPS3

HPS3 Member

I liked it. It does feel like home. We usually stay at CBR but wanted a change. The big plus is thaty daughter likes the boat ride to DTD. It's nice on the evening not to be crammed on a bus. The food court and restaraunt are better at CBR but that's just my opinion.

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

P.O. is one of the only resorts that I have never stayed at. ; I did have an awesome dinner years ago at Boatwright's though. ; I was wondering where that photo was from.

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great shot! ; I have only stayed there 1 night back in 2006. ; It was a great place and one of my best memories from WDW was that night. ; Oh, and I returned last summer to see Yeeha Bob, a must see in my opinion.

6. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

I remember you mentioned that & I might have to get over there to see it even though we won't be staying there now that CSR has opened up.

7. HPS3

HPS3 Member

RThis was shot from the bus stop by the lobby entrance.

8. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I've only got two resorts I haven't stayed at - Pop Century and BLT. ; I guess 3, if you count the upcomign Art of Animation seperately, once it opens. ; I like PO Riverside, though admittedly I actually favor French Quarter a bit more, mostly because it's smaller and quieter - and has the New Orleans touches. ; Both are good mid-price resorts to stay...especially nice having the boats over to Downtown Disney.

Nice shot, BTW. ; I never thought to take the front of the hotel from the bus stops...it's a nice angle on it.

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Have stayed at Riverside twice. ; Once when it was still called Dixie Landings over in the Mansions. ; Last time in the Bayou area. ; Rooms are roomy for four people. ; Once of the few resorts which will allow five with a small child and a tumbler bed.

BTW, welcome to TMIP Harry! ; You only stayed at MK until 1am? ; Slacker! ; ;)

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

I too, have stayed at Riverside. ; For me, I liked Coronado better, and the food court at Coronado is wonderful! ; I believe we are going to stay at French Quarter this summer when we use the 2 night stay I won at Pixelmania last year! :D

11. zackiedawg

French Quarter is just so atmospheric - the smaller layout makes it feel more intimate...the New Orleans touches are subtle and nice - the jangle of the horse and carriage on the streets, light music, the horse-tie posts, the biegnets at the food court which you can eat with some coffee under the outside balconies with the ceiling fans going...

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Anything else? ; LOL! ; I am staying there in December for Pixelmania, it will be second time there, but first when photography became so important to me

13. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Hey Scott what can I say, I was kinda tired. By the way, I didnt get back to my room til 2:30 once I got off at the wrong bus stop and had to cut across the whole resort :) The rooms at POR are renovated and really nice and roomy. I have stayed at both POR and POFQ and like both. I like breakfast at POFQ because they have beignets. If you've never had beignets then you better get some.

14. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I refuse to get beignets that aren't made by Cafe du Monde. ; It's like getting Dole Whip at the Dole Plantation on Oahu; you really can't get it anywhere else and have it be the same.

15. zackiedawg

Think of it less as a challenge to the original, but a fond memory and homage to it. ; Just as the Dole Whip is at Disney to the original in Oahu...the FQ biegnets certainly can't approach the originals but are still tasty and can bring back very fond memories of times in N.O. ; I lived in Nawlins for 4 years, and love me my Cafe Du Monde - but I'll still get the biegnets at French Quarter (though the coffee can't compare to good old chicory-blend CafeDuMonde stuff either!)...just for the fond memories and atmosphere.

16. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Well put Justin!

17. Coo1eo

Coo1eo Member

I think I will have to side with Roger on the beignets. It's Cafe du Monde or nothing for me. Just lie I will never eat a smoked Turkey Leg anywhere but WDW. Leave the beignets to Nawlins.

18. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Nice! We haven't stayed there since they changed the name. We used to ALWAYS eat at Bonfamiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Nice shot, Harry. ; There's just something about a long exposure at night that brings out the best in any scene.

I've only stayed at POFQ, but I really liked the intimacy, ambience and beignets. ; (Sadly, on my two visits to N.O. in the early 80s, I was more interested in the streetcars than the food.)

20. HPS3

HPS3 Member

Thanks Dennis. Today we took the girls to the Audubon Zoo and while driving down St Charles all I could think of was the beauty of the streetcar and the homes of Uptown NO. I used to ride it a lot in my late teenage years. I didn't have time to pull over and take any shots today but I was planning some in my head. If anyone comes to visit N.O., after you check out the French Quarter, you need to go Uptown.