PM2K16: All about the food!

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by RedOctober25, Apr 16, 2016.

1. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Well, it's almost that time (it is for me at least, based off my room ressie) that ADRs are going to open up (180 days ). So the question goes out to the planning committee about possible "safe times" for meals on the given days. Are we likely to have Blue Hour meets where we'd eat earlier or later? At least we don't have to worry about a Candlelight Package Meal. Of course, on the flip side, we will be in the middle of Food & Wine when n Epcot.

Nothing too urgent, just wanted to make sure people were aware of the dates. I might make a few ADRs but won't post anything until the official schedule is closer to a finalized version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joanie Eddis-Koch likes this.
  2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

The planning committee will be making reservations for the group as follows:

Wednesday, Oct 19, Boatwrights, 6:30
    Friday, Oct 21, Skipper Canteen, noon
    Saturday, Oct 22, Tiffin's for lunch when it becomes available
    Sunday, Oct 23, Mama Melrose, 1 pm or later

Thursday we will be grazing at Food & Wine.

3. Thanks for reminding us Red. You are a great Pixelmaniac. [​IMG]

The planning board has been discussing dining reservations for awhile now and since our reservations window opens in a day or two we will keep everyone posted on our progress.
    We are shooting for around 18 seats per restaurant and once we have the reservations we will do a 1st come first served sign up sheet. People from the planning board have been assigned the task of trying to make these reservations.

We decided to embrace the new and shoot for Skipper's Canteen and (new for recent Pixelmanias) Mamma Melrose.

The unofficial meet up at Universal on Wednesday the 19th before Pixelmania seemed to be conducive to meeting for the Pre-Pixelmania dinner at Boatwrights at Port Orleans Riverside followed by an evening with Yehaa Bob.

As soon as Tiffins opens up their reservation window we will again shoot for 18 seats, probably split among multiple reservations, all near the same time, so that we can try something new for lunch on our Animal Kingdom day. We are also keeping an ear out to see if the very limited seating at the Rivers of Light show would demand an up-sell "ticket" like the Candle light processional. If that is the case I am betting that Tiffins would definitely be one of those restaurants where you could buy a Rivers of Light seat.

So that's the scoop on dining so far. I think that we will have more exciting adventures for the next Pixelmania. I love knowing that you have our back and we can count on you to help us plan this marvelous get together!

~Joanie

4. gary

gary Member

ok so far i have an adr for 6 at boatwrights on 10/19, wed, at 6:30 pm
    mama melrose sunday 10/23, for 6 for lunch at 2:20 pm, there were not many choices for 6 that day, either 1:20 or 2:20, took the later on advice of the food organizer in case it's a late night at ak.

5. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

So a few things...

First, I was able to make the two ADRs at Boatwright's and Mama Melrose's. They were able to be made for 12, so our current seat total is 18 for both.

10/19 Boatwright's (POR) @ 6:35p for a Party of 12 (+6 from Gary = 18)
    10/23 Mama Melrose's (DHS) @ 2:30p for a Party of 12(+6 from Gary =18)

One other ADR mentioned was for Skipper Canteen. I called the Dining Hotline to confirm that currently they only take "Same Day/Walk Up" reservations (though technically not a reservation because you cannot make one for later in the day). Basically it's a "walk up when your entire party is there and take your chances" restaurant.

6. gary

gary Member

actually i think we have 24 at boatwrights, i think michael was going to make one, but before we cancel one let's make sure
    and if skippers isn't for add via mydisney, then why does it even show up in the menu for adr's, more magic band absurdity
    i guess if anyone wants to eat there bad enough we could do an adhoc meet there at 12:00 try to get seats type thing, i'd be ok with that.

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

I have:
    Boatwrights at 6:30pm 10/19 for 6
    Mama Melrose's at 1:00pm 10/26 for 6

8. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I suppose if Skipper's stays as "Day Of Only", we could do a walk up and check wait time. If within reason we stay, if not we move on to Quick Service elsewhere.

And just let me know what you want to do with the ADRs.

9. Thanks for your help Red. The Planning Board is taking care of this. Keep your ADR's for Pixelmania for now and we will go from there.

~Joanie

10. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Just read that ADRs for Tiffin's is supposedly going live on May 20th.

11. Thanks Red, The board is on the reservations watch. We will keep everyone posted once we have them all.

~Joanie

12. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

FYI: the "Day Of" for Skipper Canteen ADR is actually available on the app. I made a lunch reservation on MK morning while drinking my coffee at the resort a couple weeks ago. Probably change by October anyway...

mSummers and Joanie Eddis-Koch like this.
  13. That sounds great Dave. Thanks for keeping an eye on this. Is there any word on how they are "dumbing down" the menu. From what I understand some of the more "exotic" dishes like the head on shrimp are heading over to Tiffins when that opens. (they no doubt will be walking over to AK on their tiny little legs ; )

This menu exportation reminds me of a philosophy that Karl and I have around our town. We have come to the conclusion that there is only one really good Chinese restaurant chef. When a new place opens the food is really good but after so many months it all goes down hill. Then a new place opens and the food is really good. It's almost like this one good Chinese restaurant chef moves from restaurant to restaurant, opening new places and staying until he gets lured over to the new place.

From what I have heard a couple of menu items are moving over to Tiffins. It's sort of like the Chinese restaurant chef situation, only with the food as opposed to the chef. Who knows, maybe the one good Chinese restaurant chef at Disney is moving from Disney Restaurant to Disney restaurant. The one thing for sure is that he is not at 9 Dragons in Epcot!

~Joanie

14. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

I'm not sure of the future of the menu, but I guess you could consider the menu somewhat "exotic", at least in entrée names. Otherwise, its no Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman. I think anyone can find something on the menu that would fit their tastes and there are still some items for slightly more adventurous.

BTW: I prefer my shrimp with the heads off anyway...

15. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

Skipper Canteen ADRs are now available on the MDE site.

16. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

FYI, I snagged a table for 8 for Skipper Canteen at 11:40am, October 21st.

Joanie Eddis-Koch and mSummers like this.
  17. mSummers

mSummers Member

18. So I'm thinking that we don't need any more reservations, correct? 20 should be plenty...

Sorry I'm a little late to the Jungle. I had "Learn to row" day up at Evan's school. I was rowing in a shell just like my son. [​IMG]

Then I came home and discovered that the 12 year old sand filter for the pool quit and had spewed sand all over the bottom of the pool so I had to swap out and install a new one ASAP.

Life is an adventure... [​IMG]

~Joanie

19. gary

gary Member

Whatever happened to biting off the shrimp heads for yourself

20. ExploringWDW

ExploringWDW Member

Yeah, @Joanie Eddis-Koch , 20 is probably plenty. Do you want to start a Skipper Canteen signup thread?