PM2k12 - Wild Africa Trek

Discussion in 'PIXELMANIA!' started by Tim, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Want to see what happens when 12 Pixelmaniacs take over an entire truck on the Wild Africa Trek? ; You'll find out in this thread. ;

2. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Impatiently waiting for these. ; Did Michael get the 400mm on the Trek?

3. gary

gary Member

yes the mikemonster, as that lens is now known, made the trek, and just about every other meet there was. note to self, never arm wrestle michael

4. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. AlanRappa

AlanRappa Member

Curious to see photos from this, as well as hear everyone's opinions on the Trek. It's high up on my Disney Parks 'To Do' list.

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

I had no trouble getting the lens on the trek and even managed to stuff my backpack into the large locker without unloading it.

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

Alan, the trek is a great tour. ; The guides we had were very knowledgable and I think everyone in our group had a great time. I highly recommend taking the tour with a group of friends. We filled one entire tour and had a lot of fun and so did our guides.

All together now... 1 2 3 "you're doing it wrong"

8. AlanRappa

AlanRappa Member

what gear were you able to manage with you on the trek if you don't mind me asking? I've heard mixed reports about allowing cameras along.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

I brought my D700 with battery grip and GPS and the 200-400 on the trek. The key with any camera gear is that it must be completely supported by a camera strap so you have both hands free on the bridges. I used the regular rapid strap hardware to attach the lens tripod foot and a set of modified hardware to also secure the body to the same strap. The tripod foot took all the weight and the second set of hardware forced the camera & lens to hang vertically and not swing around much. ;

They force you to empty all of your pockets because the fall harness straps will force anything in your pockets to fall out. There is a small mesh pocket on the harness best and I was able to stick my sunglasses and a card wallet in there

10. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I must also say that if anyone does this again in the future, the "Alternate Trek" was phenomenal. ; A privately guided tour of Pangani Jungle Trail. ; It included a few unique experiences that I would suspect that you would not get unless you were in the right place at the right time. ; One of those was getting up close and personal in the bird sanctuary when the keeper used a clicker to tell the birds it was mealworm time. ; I would definitely do this again.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

11. ELinder

ELinder Member

Can't wait to see what you all were able to capture! Were the 'animatronic' lions working?

Erich

12. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Yes they were, I got a few shots of them from the safari along with some other strange animals out there, LOL!

13. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Just a few of my favorites

Giraffe Photobomb!
    [​IMG]

Who brought the Food Truck?
    [​IMG]

My Alternate Tour: Golden Weaver 1
    [​IMG]

My Alternate Tour: "How you doin?"
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  14. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

damn Red that little freaking camera has a great zoom ... Maybe i should slim down

15. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I was surprised at some of the shots I got too... And thanks.

Sent from my iPhone...

16. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

My photo CD arrived today. ; Some nice shots on there, especially the one of Tim using the Ellypod.

Be aware that the photos are numbered in reverse order for some reason.

17. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Got mine (x3) today as well. ; Haven't looked at it yet.

18. mSummers

mSummers Member

Mine hasn't arrived yet. ; Hopefully today.

19. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Mine came yesterday, cant wait to have a look.

20. mSummers

mSummers Member

Mine showed up yesterday too. ; The photos turned out pretty good.