Pirates of the Carribean ride

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by Craig, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

Everything went perfect the last time we rode pirates. The only thing that would have worked better would have been a camera with 3200 or 6400 iso. ;D
    Not only did I have my 50 1.4 with me, somehow we got to sit in the FRONT seat.
    For these photos I shot in RAW. I chose to shoot raw to be able to process the color balance later.
    These photos are all shot f1.4 1/30 at 1600iso.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. handicap18

handicap18 Member

3. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Even with my Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, I haven't had that good of luck and I was sitting in the front of the boat. Congrats!

4. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

Those are fantastic. My D40 has a "HI" setting is that similar to 3200 ISO? Great pics I need to work on my colors I tried to shoot this the first time all the pics turned red.

5. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work Craig! I had a tough time getting the colors correct when I shot Pirates. Fortunately all the ones that didn't look good in color looked good in B&W.

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Craig, I hear the D3 can hit those high ISO with excellent results. Of course, you'll have to mortgage the house to buy it and all the FX lens you'll need to go with it. ::) :)

Excellent shots! Hmmm....you have the f/1.4 and I only got the f/1.8. I'll buy if off you if you go for the D3 outfit. ;D

7. Craig

Thanks everyone!

Geek—yes that hi setting on iso is 3200. It is not very usable though. It looks like you are shooting from space through an asteroid field. I have played with it at night for fun, but I don’t think you’d be happy with ride pics at 3200 with your d40 or d80.

Msummers—You’re right about the red coloring. I have some other photos that got the exposure pretty good, but I can’t get the colors to look right, so I ignored those. I never thought to convert to b&w. I’m not even sure if the colors I chose are very “correctâ€

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Drats...keep forgetting these 50mm's are FX lenses. ;D I'm sure Nikon will come out with a prosumer FX body someday. Heck, the D300 is 95% a D3 except for the full frame sensor. I'd expect there's a reason why Nikon hasn't used the model name of D30 yet. I know rumors are it will be called a D90 but we'll see. Since the D300 is selling like hot cakes, I doubt Nikon is in any hurry.

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

I think Nikon will release a prosumer FX body in the next year to year and a half. The question for me will be what level of prosumer will it be. The logical choice would be to release it as a D300x or D400, although a year will be too soon for a D400 release. I think there's a chance that the D90 could be full frame. Nikon was pretty quiet at PMA this year because Photokina is coming up later this year, and expect a new body or two, possibly including the prosumer FX body.

10. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I would expect it in Cologne.

Sony's professional FF will be released then, and probably also their FF with the D3 chip, and Canon's 5D replacement is absolutely due. I believe Mr. Westfall told someone this: Our pro line has a 3 year lifecycle. 1DMk2 was released in April 2004. The 1DsMk2 was in November 2004. The 5D in October 2005. The 1DMk3 was released in April 2007. The 1DsMk3 in October 2007. You do the math.

11. wdwnut4life

wdwnut4life Member

good ole Capt Jack, my fave movie ever & ride

12. wdwnut4life

wdwnut4life Member

Caribbean is spelled like this not the way you had it

13. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I tried to shoot this ride a few days ago... the results were horrible. I think I got one shot but I'm not sure. So good job but especially good job because the pictures turned out great on a challenging ride to shoot... at least for me.

14. scpergj

scpergj Member

I didn't have my 50mm 1.8 the last time we rode this...I'll make sure it's on the camera next time! Hopefully it can come close to what your 1.4 did.

15. Craig

I got another shot done to my liking.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

16. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I like that shot Craig. To me it has a sort of animation look.

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

Craig, what settings did you use to get those. Like I mentioned earlier, most of mine came out red like this one

[​IMG]

But I do like how they converted to B&W:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Michael, I'll let Craig answer that one (since I know the answer, built in EXIF viewers for Firefox are your friend), but what were your settings? (I should be the one to talk, for it seems that either A2 or my watermarking standalone is stripping the EXIF. ACDSee and Bibble don't do that.)

The red ones and the B&W being the best option were my results back before the age of the second generation digital cameras. (i.e. film and the first affordable digital SLRs)

19. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I remember you posting a link to a firefox plug in for viewing EXIF data can you repost that. Next time I shoot Pirates and HM I'll shoot RAW. I just realized that I can in fact edit RAW files in PS elements.

20. Craig

Well Michael, I will answer the best that I can. I really have no idea!
    I dont really know what I am doing with raw and have absolutely no workflow!

I did shoot on manual white balance at tungsten, but shooting raw, I dont think that mattered?

A lot of mine were red too.
    I fixed them in acdsee pro2 with the following moves, in no particular order, because I dont know what I am doing, and I keep fiddling with it, until I like it.

-saturation slider
    -tried every white balance setting
    -tried custom white balance settings with the eyedropper
    -red channel (I subtractred) *this seemed to work the best
    -blue and green channel (I added)
    -luminace setting
    -tons of noise reduction
    -tons of color noise reduction
    -tons of sharpening with large radius
    -used acdsee new light equalizer (I love!)

I hope that helps??

BTW, I love how sharp yours are. Very Nice!