Pirates of the Caribbean - manual focusing my way through!

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by zackiedawg, Jun 10, 2014.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Last trip to Disney in January, I again tried challenging myself to take some POTC photos in the ride with my manual focus Voigtlander lens on my NEX-5N body. It adds a little more difficulty to things - as I'm used to autofocusing and using a stabilized lens, and here I'm using a tiny, pure manual, unstabilized, rangefinder lens! But it's fun to challenge oneself!:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I tried a few times to do a white balance correction on RAW photos to 'correct' levels, losing all the red and yellow lighting, but I find for some reason I don't like it as much even though it looks more daylight-realistic - because as I go through the ride, I see all that heavy red lighting as part of the atmosphere, and how I remember it, so I tend to leave the red color cast alone. It's fun shooting this manual-focus - though in July I'll likely be experimenting with a new autofocus F1.8 lens I picked up.

2. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Doin' it old school, Justin, just like we did in the Good Old Days. Of course, manual focus SLRs back then provided microprism and/or split prism focusing aids. Even my dad's old Argus C3 brick rangfinder was easier to focus manually than most modern cameras.

Oh, and your shots are great, as usual.

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

What Dennis said, great work! I hate trying to manual focus!

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Thanks Dennis! I must admit, the old split-prisms were about as logical and easy as it got...though I'll give a little credit to the modern focus peaking system which I use on my camera for manual focusing - it's quite effective and easy to use!

Thanks John!