Pirate Palooza!

Discussion in 'The Magic Kingdom Photos' started by Joanie Eddis-Koch, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Here are some gratuitous Pirates pictures.

This was taken in March of 2014

[​IMG]

~Joanie

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Then there is "That guy".

[​IMG]

~Joanie

3. ... And of course there is a very intoxicated Jack Sparrow, fresh off an attempt at trying to "Drink around the World" in Epcot.

[​IMG]

~Joanie

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Very nice. ; What lens?

5. yensid71973

yensid71973 Member

Great pictures, Joanie.

6. That was with the rented Nikon 70-200mm. The thing that really surprised me about that lens was how fast it was able to focus on the dark rides. That big hunk of lens really did a great job under the challenging conditions of the dark rides. The Nikon D4 has a really great focusing system but sometimes in certain spots on a dark ride it's just too dark to find suitable focus targets.

I wear bifocals so my days of manually focusing and hoping I'm focused in the right zone on a dark ride are long gone. Even if I had a focusing screen installed in the camera I doubt with today's DSLRs you could manually focus successfully under those challenging conditions. Those rides move at a deceptively fast clip so there is just no time to focus manually. I also think that the depth of field is a lot thinner with these modern lenses so the camera really is the best at deciding the focus.

With all that under consideration I never would have thought the 70-200 would come close to matching the dark ride focusing performance of my 24-70 lens. I was very pleasantly surprised!

~Joanie

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Very nice stuff Joanie! ; I love that close up of Jack!

8. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Great shots!

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Oh, Joanie....you have to remove the Width and Height tags in the photo links. One of the little quarks in the migration process to these boards.