On the Road Again

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by Scottwdw, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Well, my daughter, Krystal, who has been working in North Dakota for the last 2 1/2 years is moving to her next job. She accepted a new position at Florida State University (FSU) in Tallahassee. ; I will be flying out to meet her in Minneapolis on Wednesday (8/1). ; We'll be making stops in St. Louis on Friday morning to see the Gateway Arch and somewhere in Alabama (queue Deliverance music here) before arriving in the panhandle of Florida sometime late on Saturday.

This time I do not have to drive a truck as FSU has arranged for her stuff to be delivered next Monday. ; Yeah! ; I just have to help with the driving and motels and food and whatever else we need. ; You know, Dad stuff. ; :)

I'll be uploading photos to Twitter, Google+ and, of course, here. ; We are scheduled to ride up to the top of the Arch so that should garner a few good photos.

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Sounds like fun! ; Looking forward to seeing your shots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Paul

Paul Member

Have fun Scott. ; Prepare for dirty windows at the top of the Arch, when we were there two years ago I was a little disappointed with the view. Hopefully neither one of you is claustrophobic, because the elevators that go to the top are pretty small!

4. gary

gary Member

it's like riding inside a keg to the top. that's the best way i can describe it

5. Paul

Paul Member

well put; and I think there are six people to each "keg"

6. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

My daughter read about the trip up to the top. Should be <i>very interesting</i> (said in an Arte Johnson voice from <i>Laugh In</i>).

7. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

that's the only way to describe it. ; You'd almost be better off taking the Brewery tour. ; At least then you get to see the outside of the beer keg (and then the contents thereof in the Sample Room)...

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

8. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Did that years ago. ; We only have a few hours in the morning and the Gateway Arch was her choice. ; One she may regret. ; :D

9. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

My one comment about the Arch is that it is a "one and done" type of venue. ; However, the musuem below is really neat and I believe they have a short movie on the construction.

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

10. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

And as I recall, the windows are small and angled downward. ; Still, it's a pretty good view.

Too bad you don't have more time - you could detour through Indy and say "Hi."

11. gary

gary Member

the museum of westward expansion more than makes up for the very claustrophobic ride to the top. where you do get a somewhat nice view of busch stadium. but i completely agree it's a one and done type of experience

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

Have fun! ;

13. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

And while in Tallahassee, if the weather is nice be sure to detour by the Florida Capitol building (the OLD one!!) which is on the National Historic register, and one of the most photographed buildings in FL. ; It was built just before Florida became a state, in 1845. ; They actually just completed a refurb of the dome inside and out in April, so it should look nice and shiny.

The new Capitol building sits right behind it - typical tall 70's style high-rise tower - not quite as photogenic - but they align well and can make for an interesting shot with the old in front of the new. ; And FSU campus has some photogenic buildings too - turn of the century, mix of Spanish and English colonial styles.

14. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

We only had time to visit the Arch today before we had to get back on the road to Alabama. ; We'll be in Tallahassee by tomorrow night. ; Here's a set of photos from the Gateway Arch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My daughter and me at the 630 foot mark at the top of the Arch.
    [​IMG]

In one of the Tram Pods (aka Keg)
    [​IMG]

Looking up the inside of the Arch
    [​IMG]

15. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Nice set, love the simple symmetry of that last one, drive safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Thanks, John! ; We have arrived in Tallahassee and I can see why the old State house is a magnet for photos. ; Will try to get mine later today or early tomorrow morning (better light in the AM).

Here's one more photo to show the area at the top of the Gateway Arch. ; My advice is to get there early (it opens at 8am) as by the time we left at 10:30am, the lines to get in to the Arch was very long and, to ride the Trams, extremely long. ; Like Carsland long.

[​IMG]

17. Hi Scott! ; Glad to hear everything worked out on the FSU job offer and your daughter will be closer to you! ; Goodbye snow up to your belly button and hello SUNSHINE!

18. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Here she is at FSU. She starts on Tuesday. Movers bring her stuff tomarrow. ;

[​IMG]

Sent from my fabulous iPhone 4

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  19. Paul

Paul Member

Scot, you moving to Florida?

20. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Hi, Lenise! ; Glad you and Tim meet up. ; Krystal may want to trade in her parka for a rain coat as it has been raining ever since she arrived. LOL ;

Now, what kind of Nikon lenses you got in stock? ; :)