Bought a Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by Nancy AK, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Im thinking about upgrading my 24-120 f4 to a 24-70 f2.8. I’m thinking about either the Nikon 24-70, non VR version or Tamron 24-70, first version. Any thoughts on helping me decide? Thank you

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

I haven’t used the Tamron, so I can’t offer a comparison, but I have the 24-70 and love it. It is my go-to lens for most things.

Another lens to consider is the 28-70 f2.8. It is a great lens, although I did have issues with flare under certain lighting conditions when taking night shots. I used this lens for years before upgrading to the 24-70 and still keep it as a backup.

3. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Thank you. I appreciate the reply. I’ll take a look at the 28-70mm.

mSummers likes this.
  4. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I have the Tamron 24-70 SP Di VC (vibration control). I like it, and it cost quite a bit less than the Nikon. I do have the crop-sensor equivalent Nikon lens, which is a 17-55mm that I bought used from KEH.. They're both good lenses for general walk-around use, but are a little on the heavy side (around 2 pounds).

For an unbiased opinion I like to go to LensRentals.com. When you go to the page for a specific lens, look at the section called Roger's Take (if there is one). Roger is the owner and his mini-reviews are always honest and informative. It's also a great place to try before you buy.

5. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Thank you. You have the first generation? I do like LensRental.Com, and according to Roger, he says the Tamron first generation is the best version to get, the G2 is the same optically, the Nikon non VR isn’t as sharp and he dislikes the VR version. I also like KEH, I have bought and sold there too.

6. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I don't know which generation Tamron I have, but I bought it in 2013.

Nancy AK likes this.
  7. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

You don’t miss having VR? I worry about camera shake with this lens?

8. mSummers

mSummers Member

I don’t miss VR in that lens range, however I have fairly steady hands and practice good camera technique. I’m still able to shoot a 70mm lens or wider at 1/30th handheld without seeing motion blur on my D4s. If you have shaky hands or one of the newer cameras with ridiculous megapixels, you might consider renting both and seeing if it makes a difference for you.

Nancy AK likes this.
  9. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Thank you. I tend to drink too much coffee. I think I might need the VR.

10. gary

gary Member

consider a monopod, or a tripod with a removable converts to a monopod section. i use a benro mad49A. it is an aluminum monopod and it is a long one, extending to 75.2 inches, $69.95 at b&h, i searched long for one that went that high, this is because on many of my rail photo charters i bring along a 16" folding step, this allows me to stand in the back row on a crowded photo line and shoot over, plus giving a little different perspective from a little bit of height, and this monopod full extended, puts the camera right at face level when on the step, because of it's height and being aluminum it is a little heavier than many others, but it gives me about 85% or more of the benefits of a tripod without having to lug along the tripod during the day, if a night session is involved and there is a return to the yard/cars area i can then get the tripod for night shooting.
    when shooting on the monopod i leave steady shot ( sony vr) on all day, and i get some very sharp shots with it. you could certainly get a shorter and much lighter one, particularly if you went carbon fiber, you pretty much have to check a bag when flying, although i did travel openly with it on a couple flights, but now just check since tsa will not publish definitive rules on tripods or monopods, they fall back open the old "it's up to the screener" line, i really dislike not having clear rules.

Nancy AK likes this.
  11. Nancy AK

Nancy AK Member

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to buy a Tamron 24-70 2.8. I bought a used, it’s the original version, the one Dennis has. I really thought about the Nikon non VR but think I really need the VR/VC. Can’t wait to use it at Pixelmania.

mSummers likes this.