Nighttime walkaround, Hollywood Studios

Discussion in 'Disney's Hollywood Studios Photos' started by zackiedawg, Jun 17, 2011.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

This past trip, I headed over to DHS in the early evening, just after sunset on the first day of arrival. ; I still had my DSLR kit all packed away back at the room and battery charging, but fortunately had my mirrorless all charged and ready, so I wanted to enjoy some handheld night shooting and walkaround stuff, taking advantage of the sensor's high ISO performance and the image-stacking modes that keep noise down and detail up at high ISO levels. ; The sky went from a dark dusky blue to that stage where it looked mostly dark to the eye but sensors still pick up that deep blue. ; All shots NEX3 with 18-55mm kit lens, most in handheld twilight (6-image stacking in-camera) mode, and ISOs as listed:

Just a normal ISO200 single shot, coming in the front entrance after sunset:
    [​IMG]

Another normal shot ISO200, steadyshot allowing handheld 1/8", but getting some blurry people moving by:
    [​IMG]

Time to switch to HHT mode, as it got darker faster. ; HHT, ISO4000:
    [​IMG]

This was facing towards where the sun had set, so a little more dusky glow in the sky...I liked how it was coming through the building window at the top...ISO6400:
    [​IMG]

ISo6400:
    [​IMG]

Splash fountain, ISO5000:
    [​IMG]

Backlot building, ISO6400:
    [​IMG]

Now we're getting to full nighttime dark...the Pixar gate at ISO6400:
    [​IMG]

Sunset Club building, ISO2500:
    [​IMG]

Standing under Tower of Terror, ISO6400:
    [​IMG]

Catching the sign as it changes, ISO800:
    [​IMG]

Main drag and Big Hat, ISO2500...for this one I had my Konica Hexanon 40mm F1.8 lens aboard, wide open at F1.8:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Nice shots Justin! ; Thanks for sharing! ; I really like the shot of the Indiana Jones building!

3. zackiedawg

Thanks John.

4. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Justin these are fantastic! ; Looks like you got a great little camera there.

5. ELinder

ELinder Member

Wow, those are mighty impressive handhelds!

Erich

6. zackiedawg

Thank you both! ; I've definitely found the perfect night casual camera - my DSLR and tripod still come for the big night shoots, but the NEX is a great camera to bring when you're not PLANNING any night shots, but still want to be able to take them handheld if you see something great. ; The DSLRs can do that too, but the mirrorless is a lot lighter and smaller, and convenient to carry around all night long.

7. Nice! Its amazing how empty some of the first shots and there are so few people in them. Then you see the Pixar Place pic and its like "Oh thast where everyone went!"

Good work!

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I may have to recommend this camera for work ; ::)

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice series Justin!

10. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I haven't had a chance to comment until now, but all of these sets from your last trip are outstanding. ; Nice work, Justin!

11. Paul

Paul Member

I was thinking the same thing Roger!

Really nice stuff here Justin, ; I really like that fourth one.

12. PolynesianMedic

I think it's great that you even caught that color that is almost to accurately protray in a photo. ; That blue/purple they use to light the Tower, is a pain to catch just right, but that camera seems to have done the trick. ; I wonder what it would do on the Castle Dream lights.

13. zackiedawg

Thanks all. ; I love the little camera - I'd recommend it to anyone - tons of fun in a tiny package, and DSLR image quality in a P&S body...and can still change lenses as needed. ; Freeing oneself from the tripod and the bulky camera bag is certainly nice every once in a while - I'm always a dedicated DSLR guy, but I am so happy I've decided to go the two-camera route - for the price of a cheap lens, I get a whole 'nother camera body and lens, plus adapters to take nearly any other mount in history.

I didn't get a chance to do MK at night this trip...but that's a great idea - I look forward to next time to see how handhelds of castle dream lights would go with this camera. ; I'd probably make that a two-camera night, so I could still do some nice long exposures on tripod with the DSLR, but while I'm doing a 10 or 20 second exposure with the DSLR, I could rattle off a few handhelds with the mirrorless!

14. MJHurley

MJHurley Member

Once again, nice series. It looks like you had a good evening of shooting.

15. zackiedawg

Thank you - it was much fun - and a bit liberating to walk around with a quick handheld camera and no tripod for this stuff!

16. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

just saw that on one of the EMH's when we are down there DHS is open 'til 0100 hours! ; i plan on taking full advantage of this!

17. goofmick

goofmick Member

Wow, DHS until 100, that would be cool. ;

Justin, I missed these the first couple of times around. ; You did a very nice job.

18. zackiedawg

1 am sounds awesome - just perfect for both walkaround night shots, and some nice long exposure stuff.

19. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Sure hoping so... ; Anyone going to be in area and want to join me?

sent from my htc thunderbolt ;

20. PolynesianMedic

um, me?!
    See you there buddy!