New to DSLR... Whats the best one?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by napnet, Dec 15, 2007.

1. napnet

napnet Member

I've got ~600 in Best Buy gift certificates and am looking to get a new Digital SLR camera... currently i'm looking at three cameras at the same price and am not sure which to get. I'm kind of partial to the Rebel XT since i've used it before and i liked the way it worked. Below are the 3 cameras I am looking at but really not sure whats the best of them all. They are all the same price and thats about all i am willing to spend at the moment.

Canon Rebel XT - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 9394810083

Olympus EVOLT - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 7717703253

Nicon D40 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8323379076

I plan on using this at Disney for all kinds of lighting... i currently have a 5 year old Sony Cybershot that has worked great but it's time to upgrade. I'm new to 'professional' cameras and really don't know what to look for or use.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

Napnet,

First, welcome to the forums

Secondly, I have been around these forums enough to know that the fact that you have stated you are familiar with the Canon Rebel really puts some points in that camera's favor. A lot of the decision making is based on what you are comfortable with or familiar with.

But, I'm a really a novice, so let's wait and see what some of the more veteran dSLR users have to say

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Napnet, welcome to the boards!

The primary decision is really going to be what feels best to you, especially in your hand and in regards to the controls.

But here is the main points:

Olympus: Uses the 4/3 CCD sensor, which is smaller than Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Sigma, and Canon's dSLRs. While a smaller sensor usually means more noise in the image, the advantage is that the lenses are smaller and lighter. In fact, Olympus is the only one that has a equivalent of a 70-200 mm lens with a max aperture of f/2. Additionally they are the only ones with an equiv. 300mm lens with a max. aperture of f/2.0 (in terms of camera numbers, the lower the f number, the 'faster' the lens is considered and generally the better it is) However the lens choices are limited to Olympus.

Nikon: Proud history of solid Nikon construction, with a Sony CCD APS-C sensor. The main disadvantage to the D40 is that it only takes SD cards (the next model ups only take CF, and the new Nikon D3 has 2 CF bays instead of a CF and a SD), and it can not use all of the Nikon lenses, only those made specifically for digital with a certain kind of motor in the lens.

Canon Rebel: Uses all existing Canon EF lenses, and provides a complete upgrade path in the future as long as you don't invest in EF-S lenses. The kit lenses in EF-S format are inexpensive and don't count towards that however! Personally I don't like the way you have to change settings when you try and use the camera in a more advanced mode (you have to hit a button to change the aperture value, while the next line up - the 40D and beyond use the back wheel, which is missing on the Rebel series).

Now I'm going to shock some people with this, but I would try the Nikon D40 first, maybe see if they will let you put a SD card in it, take some pictures at the store, go home and see how they "look" to you. Think about how the camera feels in your hand, and if you like the controls. That should be the primary concern - that it feels good to you, and the pictures look good to you.

4. Roger

I re-read your question.

Because you'll be looking at all kinds of lighting, another factor you will need to consider is this:

Olympus uses in-body stabilization, Nikon and Canon use in-lens stabilization, so you would need to buy special lenses to get that feature.

But, since you'll need faster lenses to get pics in dark environments, I noticed this: (thanks B&H catalog)

Olympus' fastest lenses are f/2.0.

Nikon's fastest lens is f/1.4 and the choices are limited (currently only 2); I expect Nikon to announce some new primes in about 4 weeks for PMA 2008, since this where Canon still has them beat; once that bridge is hurdled, we'll know who the leader is in the dSLR world (again).

Canon's fastest lens still in production is f/1.2, and they have 2 there, and three at f/1.4. But only one of those 5 cost under $1000.

Both Canon and Nikon's 50mm f/1.8 lens is one of their cheapest, at $75 and $115 respectively.

5. napnet

napnet Member

Ok you mentioned the Canon has an easier upgrade path? Is that something to consider if i'd like to go for a better camera in a year? Ive done just some 'fun' photography and everyone who's seen some of the things i have up at work love it. So i'm looking at something to start out with and build on.

I'll run by BB this week and try out the Nicon... is there any difference between the types of memory? I have SD in my cell and i know the Canon uses the CF but is that another thing i should think about? I'm really open to anything, the Rebel is just the first SLR camera i have used outside of a camera store and loved it (compaired to my point and shoot cameras). Additionally, i really don't know much about film so the f/2.0 and stuff is greek to me. I've been trying to read up on it as well :)

Thanks for all the help! I was refered here from another Disney site saying the'd know the answers here.

6. gary

gary Member

consider a used body, you should be able to get at least a canon 20d in great shape, perhaps a 30d, this will allow you to learn and eventually branch into the more advanced user features
    if you decide to go new, then try to find a deal on an xti body with perhaps the entry level kit lens thrown in, gets you started, and imho, the xti body is a real step up from it's xt predecessor

if the $600 is what you can spend then check out www.keh.com, for used packages of nikon or canon body plus kit lens, the reason i say this is because a bump to $800 will open up a lot more options and put you into a new xti with kit lens

i've used keh many times, most of my L grade glass was purchased from them, much of it used

i only mentioned canon gear because it's all i know, try the nikons in a store for some comparison on hand fit and feel,a both are good lines with some great lens choices for later on as your needs grow

7. napnet

napnet Member

I would but i have ~600 in Best Buy gift cards so i'm kind of limited on what and where I can buy :) Family members have given me a bunch for my birthday and Christmas

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

always better to spend OPM... welcome aboard.

9. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

I'm a Canon user and happy with my decision. Started in SLR shooting after a 15 year break with a Rebel XT, and quickly upgraded it. I was familiar with Canon gear and when I bought the XT (2 years ago), it was an easy choice since the Nikon didn't match the product. Now it's a tough choice - there's a lot to love with both bodies.

I'm not going to break down pros and cons - there's tons of sites that do that (this included), and there are many better people than I to discuss the technical merits of each platform ... but I'd stick to either Canon or Nikon. Either one will make you happy.

As for lowlight shooting, I really like the Canon lowlight images more than the Nikon equivalents, so that might nudge my decision. Check out Tim's galleries and see what he can do with a 5D. It's amazing. Canon's low light lenses ARE pricey, but I went with a 50mm f/1.4 at about $350, and it is a really, really nice option for not a ton of money.

10. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I just got back from best buy and played with the D40 a while. I liked how the settings change. I figured out the basics in just a few minutes. What do you think of the Olympus E - 410 I just saw that one online and had never heard of it?

11. Roger

If I remember correctly there is one member here that used to use an Olympus but switched to Nikon not too long ago.

Honestly I haven't heard that many bad things about it - Olympus is one of the oldest players in the digital camera market - the first digital camera I used was an Olympus! If it hadn't been for the D30, I may have switched.

If you aren't planning on shooting a lot of very low light stuff without a tripod, Olympus may the way to go. They do have some superior options at the telephoto side, but f/2.0 is their fastest. The biggest advantage is that their lenses way a lot less for same equivalency. Plus they use sensor-stabilization rather than a lens based system, and apparently their dust removal device is the best, bar none.

Biggest downside is that they have the smallest sensor in any modern dSLR. In general, smaller sensor = more noise.

12. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

I believe I saw that it has a CMOS sensor. I used to know the difference but I always forget. You said that if I was planning to do a lot of low light shooting w/o a tripod then the Olympus would be good but you later went on the say that it has a smaller sensor equaling more noise. How is this so? Sorry for semi hijacking the thread.

13. Roger

If you weren't planning....

Olympus doesn't have lenses faster than f/2.0, and you'll need f/1.8 or faster really plus high ISO if you want to take available light photos on rides, for example. But fireworks you will usually use a low ISO, f/8 and a tripod. Same with night shots with a tripod - low ISO.

Now for some things, like Fantasmic! for example, I would have loved to have a 70-200 equiv zoom with an f/2 aperture.

14. DisneyGeek92

DisneyGeek92 Member

15. mSummers

mSummers Member

I'll throw in my 2¢ worth...

I think if you are planning to upgrade eventually, Nikon or Canon are clearly the better choices. If it comes down to those two, I think they are both good systems, so you can't go wrong with either. I think that overall, Canon has better low light capability from a noise standpoint right now, but I think Nikon is catching up. I shoot Nikon, and I'm very happy with my cameras. The only think I'm not totally happy with is the high ISO performance, but since I don't take many photos that require high ISO, it doesn't bother me much. I think the biggest thing that helps prevent noise is the size of the sensor. I have seen photos from the new D3 that look awesome at very high ISO settings. I look for Nikon to introduce the full frame sensor in its lower level cameras in the next year or two.

I wouldn't worry very much about the type of memory card. If you upgrade to a camera with more megapixels, you are probably going to replace your cards with bigger ones anyway. Also, the D80 uses SD cards, so Nikon may release more cameras that use SD cards.

The best thing to do is go to the store and try them out and see which one you like the best.

16. napnet

napnet Member

Thanks for all the help!! I'm going to try out the Nicon as soon as i can get over to a store and see how it feels. I guess Canon lenses only work with Canon cameras or are they interchangable with other brands? I was wondering if i go with say the Canon camera but in a year or two choose a Nicon, would i need to get all new lenses? And is the 2 megapixel difference between the Canon (8) and Nicon (6) anything to consider or is it moot at that size? Some reviews i read said that the extra size in the Canon made noise from darkness less noticiable when you view the image at a regular photo size.

It looks like its really a choice between the Canon and Nicon from all the comments so far which is fine by me since the Olympus is only available online from Best Buy.

17. mSummers

mSummers Member

You guessed correctly... You can't use Canon lenses on a Nikon body, but you can use Nikon lenses on a Canon body, but I wouldn't recommend it. If I remember correctly it involves a special adapter ring to make it work. The best thing to do is pick one and stick with it. I have a Nikon D70s which is 7MP, and you can't see any noise in the dark areas of the photo at 200 ISO. I think the noise really only comes into play at higher ISO settings. If you can, take some pictures with both cameras at both low and high ISO and look at them on your computer to compare and see which one you are happy with.

18. Roger

Like mSummers said, yes, you would need to get new lenses. This is the biggest thing that keeps people from switching from Canon to Nikon and vice versa on a regular basis. While a large Nikon to Canon migration occurred a few years ago, 2007 seems to be the year it turned the other way.

It depends on what you are planning to print (if at all). In general, the noise is less noticeable in prints when viewed from the "proper" distance, and even more so when you take the full size image and shrink down to web size. (and view it on the web)

19. Roger

And here's the latest thing to think about:

Rumors are flying fast and furious that Canon will make their PMA announcements on 1/24/08, and other than the new 5D, a new Digital Rebel will be announced. If/when that occurs, I would expect that the price of the XT, XTi to drop; I can't see Canon releasing a new camera higher than the XTi currently is. Along the same lines, Nikon will probably due something as well in their lower-level cameras as well.

20. napnet

napnet Member

Well thanks for everything... I went ahead and got the Rebel XT. The Nikon didn't fit my hand as well as the Canon (i have large mits) and I've been very happy so far. Hopefully if they do drop the price, I have a price match guarantee from Best Buy till Jan 31st :)

again, thanks for all the help.. i'll try to post some pictures after my next trip (end of Jan) using it... now to save up for a telephoto lens