New Harambe village expansion - Lion King Theater area (imgs)

Discussion in 'Disney's Animal Kingdom Photos' started by zackiedawg, Jul 28, 2014.

1. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Some shots from last week around the newly expanded Harambe Village area behind the Dawa Bar - I had two cameras with me that day - my A6000 had just my 357mm lens kit attached for the wildlife, and I brought a borrowed Sony RX10 1" sensor cam to cover the wider range of 24-200mm with the excellent F2.8 constant stabilized lens that camera has. I was using the in-camera HDR mode set to 3 stops for these:

[​IMG]
    From the Cannons overlook spot by Dawa Bar, looking 'downriver'

[​IMG]
    Wider shot

[​IMG]
    Looking back the other way, at the cannon overlook spot I was at before, and the Harambe bridge

[​IMG]
    Lion King theater

[​IMG]
    Wall, bridge, and Everest beyond

[​IMG]
    Old Adobe silo structure and stairs into the entrance for Tusker House, as seen from in front of Lion King theater

2. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

The new Area is beautifully done. Looks like it's been there all along.

3. zackiedawg

Agreed. AK has always been tops for theming, and here they managed to seemlessly age and blend the new section right in like it's a 100+ year old African fort city, just like the rest of Harambe. Only downside is that it takes away the ambiance of Dawa Bar a bit, as it's now just in the middle of a pathway - I could see that being moved to a farther-back location to make it feel more separate.

4. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks for sharing these Justin. I was convinced I was looking at the structures that have been there since the opeing in 1998. They sure did a great job blending them in with the existing buildings. And I can see what you are saying about Dawa Bar.

5. zackiedawg

Thank you John.

6. Craig

Craig Member Staff Member

they did a great job. it would/might be nice if they could move the dawa bar to the back to keep its charm.

7. zackiedawg

Not only keep the charm, but I think maybe to even help sales. Seems to me when I was there that the bar is almost forgotten - definitely not the 'usual' crowd or line of people there, no real desire to sit at the bar stools, and almost all the remaining tables/chairs in the seating area seem to be resting families, people eating food from the nearby carts or Tamu Tamu across the way, or waiting to get into Tusker House. On the other hand, if they moved the bar to the back of the Lion King theater area, maybe near the restrooms that are back there, that would make it more of a 'destination' than a passthrough...and I'd think it would get more sit-down business and people coming out of the Lion King show. I can hope! Because Dawa Bar was always one of my favorite spots.