New camera - opinions

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by drcookies, Dec 13, 2010.

1. drcookies

drcookies Member

Hi, I just bought a Nikon D5000 with the 18-55mm kit lens and a Tamron VR 18-370 mm lens. Is this a good start to DSLR photography?

2. gary

gary Member

well that's a great start on nas(nikon acquisition syndrome) come of us have the related canon(cas) or sony(sas), causes constant gear buying.
    you didn't give me your experience level, so i'll make believe you just got your first camera, on the other hand if you are coming from 40 years of fine art film work, just understand i like to talk.

but seriously, yes that's a fine start. now comes the real work, start by reading the owners manual, now read it again, maybe just a chapter at a time, sitting in a chair, with the camera at hand, work through all those settings they show. visit the local library, start reading some intro books, if budget allows purchase some kelby books as needed, don't forget to click through the link here, every little bit helps with bandwidth costs. take 10 photos, now throw out nine, keep 1, another day, take another 10, throw out 9, do this 10 times, now try to cull those 10, think on it, why did i keep these, what did i like, what did i do wrong? if budget and time/distance allow, take an intro course, high school adult ed or community college.
    it's probably best saved for another post, but what will your post process workflow be, and using what programs. we here at tmip, encourage everyone to migrate eventually into shooting raw(nef). you paid for all that sensor, why not use it. raw gives you the largest files, but the most creative control over the output.
    and please feel free to ask any and all questions about this, some of us love to teach, i love to type, and we all share a creative passion for photography and disney. along with many other things we like to take photos of.

3. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

What gary said.

It's a good start, that's for sure. ; However you'll probably find that you won't be using the kit lens as it is duplicated by the 18-270 Tamron. ; (I think your 18-370 is a typo)

4. drcookies

drcookies Member

Hi Roger & Gary,

Thanks for your posts. Yes, I have a lot to learn. This is my first DSLR graduating from a Kodak DX7590 that I have had for quite some time. I will need to know the ins and outs of the camera as the photos I've taken don't look much better than my Kodak right now. That's what I get for using auto mode huh? ; ::)

Kit lens would be good for taking photos at parties and stuff where I don't need the telephoto range, right? It sure is a lot lighter than the Tamron! And yes, it is a 270 mm (my bad!)

Anyways, I am looking forward to learning from everyone as I love taking photos especially at Disney! Haven't been there in 4 years but hope to get back in the next couple of years though!