NEW ARTICLE: Framing Your Images

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Tim, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Michael Summers gives a step by step account of creating his simple but effective drop shadow frame.
    READ THE ARTICLE HERE

Discuss it here! Thanks, Michael.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Paul

Paul Member

Nice write up, if only I had Photoshop. I am hoping Adobe adds a feature in the next update of Lightroom to do this. I am looking into a plug-in or alternative approach with Lightroom. If I discover anything I will post it.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

you can always try elements which costs about 1/6 what photoshop costs.

4. Paul

Paul Member

Ya thought of that. My wife can actually get a teacher discount for Photoshop, but I'm not sure if there are any limitations that go along with it. I need to prioritize my growing list of photography wants/needs!!

5. gary

gary Member

check it out because i believe that the newest version of elements now allows actions, and that's i feel the single biggest thing you need photoshop for

6. mSummers

mSummers Member

Thanks Paul.

I think the academic limitations are that its supposed to be used for "academic" purposes, not commercial work.

7. Grumpwurst

Grumpwurst Member Staff Member

I wish Adobe would start doing what Microsoft did with their programming languages, where you can get a free copy with the most necessary features with the strict purpose for "hooking" new users. Their PR is that they are "training" copies for hobbyists. You cannot sell any compiled programs written with it. Most of us don't sell our pictures, so we'd fit within such a license

8. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

There is a free plugin for A2 that will do this as well. BorderFX (I use it for adding my copyright).

[attachment=1]

Something I just did rough and dirty.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

9. Deniz

Deniz Member

As mentioned above, the limitation is that it should be used by an academic (presumably for non-commercial uses). How that is controlled depends on the agreement between the school and the company. Generally the limitation is whether you can use it after the person has left school. So for example, if I bought photoshop with a student discount from my specific university, the license reads that I can continue to use it in full after I left school without buying an extended license, unlike Microsoft products such as office where I have to pay additional money to keep using it once I graduate (though this is all regulated by honor system). However, in neither case am I receiving less than what that version would be in the stores. Paul, since your wife is a teacher, you won't even have to worry about this. But for all future student discount software purchasers, it always pays to ask the university computer store what the policy is for that specific software.

10. Paul

Paul Member

Thanks Deniz for that clarification. I'm holding off on purchasing Photoshop for now figuring someone, either Adobe or 3rd party, will have a plug-in I can use with Lightroom for what I want to do such as borders. I'd rather put my $$ right now into a new lens!!

For now I'm using a free application called Imagewell to glue together a frame to my pics, still trying things out with it.

11. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

I use Photoshop Elements. It's totally worthy!

I took a graphic design course last year and did every project on Elements. I had access to all the big programs but am so comfortable with elements that I have no need for the expensive stuff.

I did this frame on elements today:

[​IMG]

and did an edge blur on a photo from yesterday:

[​IMG]

12. mSummers

mSummers Member

Nice work ColleenMarie. I like the beveled edges on the frame.

13. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Member

:) Thank you...

Alls I did was add a drop shadow and then add a stock frame from the effects list. Elements lets me do a metallic, wood, white, black, wavy or splattered frames by only clicking a button.

Whatever effect I use depends on what looks good with the print.