NASA Shuttle Launch

Discussion in 'Photography 101' started by Stryker412, May 18, 2009.

1. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

This is going to be a two part question (1 on topic and 1 off topic).

I currently have a Canon S3 IS. I finally got tickets to go see the launch on June 13th. We will be approx 6 miles from the shuttle when it launches (the closest and civilian is allowed). I know my camera has a great zoom but obviously I can't take great shots from that distance with the stock lens. What would be a decent (not top of the line) lens I can use on this camera to obtain a better zoom?

Second part.

If the shuttle launch is scrubbed we're going to go to Disney for two days. How are some of the hotels with last minute reservations? Also, I've never rented a car before what are some pointers anyone can give me?

2. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Interesting questions. ; From what I know about your camera, since it isn't a SLR camera, the only option for a lens attachment is this teleconverter. ; It will increase the zoom capabilities by 1.5x's. ; You may need an adapter to attach it to the camera, but there seems to be great information on the site to tell you whether or not you will need it.

If the launch gets scrubbed, the resorts can be hit or miss. ; I would think that since you are going early enough in June, and with the current economy you should be ok to get in somewhere on property last minute, if not there are tons of other options in the area, including the hotels in the Downtown Disney area.

I hope this helps, let us know how you make out, and PLEASE don't forget to post the photo's!

3. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Your camera has a 58mm thread, which makes it fairly painless to find add-on extenders. ; First off though, you'll need an extension tube if you don't already have one. ; You'll be best off sticking with Canon for that one - as it is specifically measured to the length of your extended lens. ; It's usually a 2 or 3 inch plastic tube that threads onto the camera, and the extension lens threads onto the other end.

As for the extender - there are lots of brands that should work well - Canon has their own 1.7x teleextender. ; Sony made one called the VCL-HD1758 which is a 1.7x teleextender made for their H series - it will work very well with your S3. ; Raynox makes a 2.2x extender...that's a bit more expensive and has a longer reach, but it seems to rank of high quality in most ratings, and is a bit more expensive. ; Olympus has the T-con 1.7x extender that will also work with your S3.

With your maximum zoom, you should get about 420mm optical in 35mm equivalent. ; The 1.7x tele extenders will increase that to 732mm. ; That's pretty good range! ; Here's a full 12x zoom from my H5, which has the exact same lens range as your S3:

[​IMG]

Here's a shot with the 1.7x teleextender added:

[​IMG]

The only problem you may have to deal with at those distances in Florida would be on a hot, humid day - you may get some distortion in the air from humidity and heat, that can mess with the shot. ; Here's an example of extreme telephoto through humidity - those wavy lines that make oasises appear in the desert, but also distort the image:

[attachimg=1]

You can probably find one of those teleconverters used at a place like KEH...save a little money.

[attachment deleted by admin]

4. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

Thanks Zack, very informative. I was thinking of jumping to a Canon XSi but I'm afraid that's out of my budget right now. I'll have to stick with a telephoto lens for my S3 for now.

5. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I can't find a hotel. Anyone have any suggestions for non-chain hotels near KSC?

6. PolynesianMedic

I would search up to and as far away as Orlando. ; Look at an hour drive time radius. ; I am sure that you can find something in that range. ; The space center, if my memory serves is about 35 or 40 miles from Orlando International. ; Did you look in the Port Canaveral Region?

7. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

Well we have to be at KSC for a 3:30am breakfast with an astronaut so I wanted to be somewhat as close as possible.

8. PolynesianMedic

Port Canaveral isn't that far, and you should be able to find something.

9. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

Actually I just booked something outside of the Orlando Airport for under $100. By the time we get there my wife will have been up since 5am and we'll just need to crash. Especially since we have to be back up at like 2am.

So between the Raynox and the Canon telephoto lens, which would be the better choice? I purchased the Canon adapter/hood set yesterday.

10. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I did a test today. These pictures are with the stock lens of my camera at about the same distance the shuttle will be.

Fully zoomed out:
    [​IMG]

Fully zoomed in:
    [​IMG]

11. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Not too bad - the shuttle should be a bit bigger than that lighthouse. ; You are getting some heat distortion, but it isn't that bad there. ; Even if you do get a little distortion, the flame trail that follows the shuttle up is huge, and you should get that pretty clearly! ; Just watch the metering - if you're set up to meter off the shuttle before launch, then the launch shot will be horribly blown out. ; Either underexpose the shuttle on the pad before launch, or meter off the flame when the boosters start up.

12. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I'll be ordering the zoom lens some time this week. I'll take another shot with the new lens to see the difference.

A friend of mine just bought the new Kodak Z980, and wow does it look nice.

13. PolynesianMedic

Stryker, is that Ole' Barney?

14. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

It sure is. :)

15. PolynesianMedic

so you live not too far away then. ; Nice!

16. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

I'm going to order the Canon telephoto lens soon. Can anyone tell me what the major differences are between the Canon TC-DC58B and the lenses that cost a few hundred to thousands of dollars?

Also, will this filter (Canon UV-1) help reduce the heat distortion effect?

Bah! Now my co-worker has given me the buy bug. I can spend $105 on a new lens or $380 on the new Canon SX10 and no need for a lens (it has a 20x zoom). Decisions decisions.

17. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

That lens is designed to work with your P&S. ; Detachable SLR lenses won't work, and they are also designed to project an image the size of a 35mm negative (or perhaps APS negative), rather than a much smaller sensor.

No. ; I'm not aware of any lens/filter that can stop that.

18. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

Ok well I've scrapped the telephoto lens idea and now ordering the Canon SX10. It has a 20x optical zoom that would roughly equal what I'd get with my S3 and the telephoto.

Are there any codes or special links to use for B&H to give you guys credit for the referral?

19. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I believe all you need to do is click on the banner then place the order.

20. Stryker412

Stryker412 Member

What are your thoughts on the SX10 over my current S3 IS?