My 2008 WDW Marathon

Discussion in 'WDW Resorts / Downtown / Rest of WDW' started by jbwolffiv, Jan 7, 2012.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

With this being Marathon Weekend, I thought I would share my experience from 4 years ago running the Marathon. ; Only a few (two I think) of the photos I actually took. ; Most were by cast members, volunteers or official marathon photographers. ;

Back sometime near 2000 my father bought a pocket sized digital camera, I think I was 1.8 megapixels. ; I carried this in my pouch so I could grab some shots during the race. ; You will be able to tell which ones are from this camera.

I woke up about 2 am and began to get dressed. ; It was odd to walk around Pop at 3 am to catch a bus to EPCOT. ; When I arrived, I checked in and then proceeded to the Runners Retreat tent. ; Money well spent, tables and chairs, water, Gatorade, fruit and bathrooms.

[​IMG]
    Runner's Retreat Tent by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

Even Mickey and Minnie stopped to give a photo op

[​IMG]
    Runner's Retreat Tent with Mickey and Minnie by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

At about 5 am we walked about a mile out to EPCOT Center Drive for the start.

[​IMG]
    Before the Gun by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

Right at 6 am the race began!!

[​IMG]
    The Start! by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

We ran about 2 miles outside EPCOT before entering that park for the first time. ; There was a lot of fog. ; We ran right under Spaceship Earth and towards World Showcase and made a left to Mexico. ; At the 3rd mile marker I came across Mulan. ;

[​IMG]
    Mulan by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

After seeing her, we head backstage and under Test Track and back out to the highway. ; As I am running on World Drive towards the Magic Kingdom I hear my name yelled. ; As your name is on your bib, this happens often, but this was coming from a dude hanging from a streetlight. ; It was my HS friend Scott who lived in SC at the time. ; He was up there so he could see better. ; I had no idea that he was coming down, a secret to most ; in my cheer squad right up until the night before the race!

[​IMG]
    Scott and Me by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

Little did I know that my other good friend from HS Kevin (actually all the way back to Kindergarten) was a half mile further up. ; He was wearing a grass skirt to stand out more. ; This I my one regret as I did not get a photo with him during the race.

From there I ran through the Magic Kingdom parking lots and up past the Contemporary and then backstage to come out by Tony's to make a right turn up Main Street. ; This was a totally amazing experience. ; There were people cheering and yelling on my right. ; As I get to the hub, there is my cheer squad, at least the ones I knew were going to be there. ; Very emotional moment there. ; So off to Tomorrowland and through Fantasyland.

[​IMG]
    Past Fantasyland by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

After Fantasyland we came through the castle, another amazing moment in the race.

[​IMG]
    Through Cinderalla Castle by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

At this point I was about 10 miles into the race and still having a blast! ; This was the last chance I got to see my family until after the finish, I gave them a wave.

[​IMG]
    Last wave to family by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

From here its off to Frontierland and backstage. ; Then the long run to DAK, which we pass the sewage treatment plant, that was a wonderful smell! ; We entered DAK in the back and ran behind the Tree of Life.

[​IMG]
    Coming though Animal Kingdom by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

I thought I would be in DAK in for park opening and planned to ride Everest, but I was about 15 minutes too early.

[​IMG]
    Near Everest by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

My father had rented a car and drove to DAK and was there to cheer me on outside the park in the lot. ; From there it was off to Oceola Parkway, in the backing Florida sun. ; I did a lot of walking here. ; I did come across Tarzan and Terk, even stepped on Tarzan's toes. ; He said not to worry, that he was a warrior too!

[​IMG]
    Tarzan and Terk by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

My HS buddies made it to mile 22 just off World Drive to cheer me again, which was a great boost! ; Then I entered DHS ( I think the name change happened the week before). ; I got a chance to get my picture with Mater.

[​IMG]
    Me and Mater by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

and then with Mike and Sully!

[​IMG]
    Mike and Sully by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

I ran right down Hollywood Blvd and out of the park. ; I ran past the Boardwalk and Swan and Dolphin. ; Then I hit the Beach Club and was feeling a little tired.

[​IMG]
    Walking near Beach Club by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

I came in through the International Gateway and there was my sister in law and father to cheer me on in England! ; Only about 1.5 miles to go. ; I knew my mom would be in next so I made sure to keep running so as to not appear tired. ; I then realized that there were no people in World Showcase since it was before 11 am, so I walked from Morrocco to the beginning of China, that way when I saw my mom I would not look too bad. ; There she was with my sister, playing the theme to Rocky and Star Wars super loud!

After just under 5 hours, I crossed the finish line!

[​IMG]
    Finish Line by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Shortly after the finish, I was reunited with my family and friends.

My HS friends

[​IMG]
    John_Scott_Kevin by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

My wife and daughter

[​IMG]
    Vert of Family by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

and the whole group

[​IMG]
    Cheer Squad by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

Running this marathon was a very rewarding experience, it is amazing how many details I can recall from that day (I did leave most of them out). ; It was a lot of fun to go back and look at these photos this week. ; Thanks for looking, I hope you were not bored!

4. goofmick

goofmick Member

Congrats on finishing, looks like you had a great time. ;

5. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Tim! ; It was an amazing day!

6. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

My 2008 WDW Marathon

Not to take away from your great accomplishment, but how much shorter would your race have been if you had not stopped for photos along the way. ; (and believe me, I would be stopping for every photo op too)

Sent from my iPhone...

7. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I often wondered that. ; My guess is that it would not effect the time too much, 10-15 minutes. ; I did a lot of walking the second half of the race and more of the shots came during that time so they acted as "breaks" from the running. ; My biggest goal was to finish, and a friend at home gave me great advice. ; He said, enjoy this, take time to look around, you are going to be doing this in your favorite place so take the time to make more memories from this race. ; His thoughts we in my head often during that race!

8. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

a big TMIP at-a-boy for you, john! ; one of these years i want to participate... although a 5k sounds a lot more palatable.

9. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Tim. ; My mother every year at this time says she is going to aim to walk the Half Marathon after being a spectator 4 years ago, she get very caught up in the excitement. ;

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

Tim, since my son was intrigued by this race when we saw it the other day, we have begun training for the 5k for next year. ; I might get in a few others before then, but at the very least we are going to do that one. ; Since you would like to do it once, how about we put Team TMIP together and a bunch of us will run the 5k. ; Who else is in?

11. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Man I would love that! ; But with 2 trips next December, I am not sure I could swing another one two weeks later! ; Plus, I have been told by 2 different Doctors that I should not consider running. ; Funny thing is, I turned to photography much more intensely when that happened. ; :eek:

12. gary

gary Member

ooh ooh i could be interested in a small marathong

13. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

You might be interested in it... but I don't think anyone else is. ; Just be sure to stay towards the back of the pack so not to burn the site into our memories

14. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

My 2008 WDW Marathon

I am in, pending the usual approval from mrs. tmip. ; That would be a lot of fun. ;

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member