MUP

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by rickenmartin78, May 8, 2013.

1. I'm going to be trying my hand at some tripod photography for the first time in June. ; I'm not planning any fireworks shots, just good ol' landscapes and panos.

I had been reading up on tripod photography when I decided to crack open my D7000 manual for the first time--to read up on remote function and mirror lock-up. ; The manual suggested I use the viewfinder cap when locking up the mirror to eliminate the chance of stray light coming in through the viewfinder.

Is the viewfinder cap really necessary? (Obviously you can tell I "misplaced" mine and of course can't find it now)

Anyone have any other tips for (non-fireworks) tripod photography at the World?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I have never noticed anything from light coming into the viewfinder. ; I have had more problems from leaving VR/IS/SSS on while using a tripod.

3. Good to hear.

I'll definitely be turning off the VR.

Thanks!

4. ELinder

ELinder Member

If I don't have the camera up to my eye when taking a pic I'll use the eyepiece cap or just cup my hand over it. The only time I noticed a problem was when the sun was shining straight at the back of the camera and didn't do either of the above. I use the exposure delay a lot, but I haven't used the mirror up function.

Erich

5. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

I'd say the cap is necessary when using an automatic exposure mode and when there is a lot of light shining on the back of the camera, to prevent light leakage from fooling the meter.

At night, I tend to use manual mode and there normally aren't a lot of bright lights around, so it's not really an issue.

6. Thanks, guys!

I'll round up a cap to be on the safe side. ; The alternative would be "borrowing" some Beach Club drapes to go old school and huddle under them while shooting :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

I NEVER EVER EVER cover the eyepiece when tripoding at night. ; I use the eyepiece to compose the shot and usually have my eye up to it when I lock the focus/metering but once that's locked in, I feel I'm good to go. ; Remember to turn of lens stabilization though.