more structure fires, it's been busy

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by gary, Jan 29, 2013.

1. gary

gary Member

or what i saw from the officers seat as we pulled up on ; mutual aid to riverhead

[​IMG]

all the residents made it out with 3 dogs and 1 of 2 cats, all their pet birds were lost. they heard a noise and the owner opened the front door to find the front fully engulfed, so he grabbed his elderly mother and the dogs and ran out the back. unfortunately he left both front and back doors open and the strong winds across the fields just blew the flames throughout the house. i ended up running a 2 1/2 line in the back

2. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Holy cow! ; That is not your typical house fire! ; Good the hear all got out safe (except for the pets).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

Wow! ; I'm glad everyone got out of that one safely. ;

Note to self... if, God forbid, I ever have a fire, close the doors on the way out.

4. gary

gary Member

closing the doors might have saved this house. would have had major fire smoke & water damage, but the inside would have taken much longer to ignite. by the time the first due got there all contents were already lit up

5. gary

gary Member

mutual aid to this fire last night at 11:23, i got back to bed at 5 am, 1 dead in the rear apartment. i never saw so many master streams in operation at one time, 4 aerials, about 6 2 1/2 handlines, i had my engine in the parking lot off to the left side with a 5 inch supply line from a tractor trailer size tanker, i had a 2 1/2 inch line in operation on the fire, and my inch & 3/4 trash line cooling propane tanks. tanker being supplied by other mutual aid tankers in a shuttle. 4 hydrants in operation, what looked like miles of 5 inch line in the streets, greenports tower ladder was parked right behind me and flying overhead. it was warm for awhile up on the pump deck, 6-1-1 is a midmount panel, so i had a great view of ops. this is a photo from newsday this am, we had enough crew to rotate out off the lines, so when i get them i'll post a couple of great shots one of my firefighters took with her samsung phone. that thing has a pretty good camera on it
    [​IMG]

6. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Those are not your common every day structure fires. Be safe out there.

7. gary

gary Member

last nights gig, mutual aid to riverhead, at first to cover their house, then moved to the scene to help with the last suppression and overhaul. one homeowner injured. lesson to all, call the fire department first, don't spend the first 5 minutes trying to put it out yourself with a garden hose, that's nowhere near enough water. out at 1258, back to bed 0500. photo from riverheadlocal.com
    [​IMG]

8. gary

gary Member

so thursday afternoon around 2:59 pm it got a little busy. ironically about 3 years ago, because of the known water supply issues in this condo complex, we had a multi department drill, and we set up a mile of 5 inch supply line and a tanker shuttle and it all took place in front of unit 80. the featured unit thursday afternoon. i did not take any of these photos, some come off a Facebook buff site i belong to, some from riverheadlocal.com , the local net news coverage. i was a little too busy to take photos.
    7 departments in all came to play, we in jamesport did ok, but the tower ladder made it go out, i spent 2 bottles worth working inside the attached unit, pulling sheetrock, chasing fire around the upstairs bedrooms and closets.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    riverhead tower ladder gets into position, soon the outriggers go down, then while a water supply gets hooked in, the bucket goes up and into position
    [​IMG]
    no interior attack on the fire unit, as you can see the roof is now into the basement, heavy smoke and water damage in unit 79 where i was doing my firefighting, kind of interesting when every time you pull down some sheetrock from either the ceiling or wall, its more flame for the hoseline to hit
    [​IMG]

9. [​IMG]

As a reminder, when you change the clocks change the batteries in the smoke detectors/ carbon Monoxide sensors. Even if they are wired into the house's electrical system the detectors probably have a battery back up. Test the alarms after you change the battery. Pro tip: You can have a little fun scaring the crap out of the family as you test the alarms unexpectedly in the middle of the night!

~Joanie