MDP Show #11... 5/13/2007

Discussion in 'The Magical Definition Podcast' started by Tim, May 13, 2007.

1. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Happy Mothers Day Everyone!

"Welcome to Podcasmic! Tonight, your friends and hosts Nathan and Tim use their vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than the imagination. For, in a moment, you can experience a beautiful fantasy. Or, an exciting adventure! But beware -- nothing is more powerful than the imagination. For it can also expand your greatest fears into an overwhelming nightmare. Are the powers of their incredible imagination strong enough, and bright enough, to withstand the evil forces that invade their dreams? You are about to find out. For we now invite you to join Nathan and Tim, and experience Podcasmic! -- a journey beyond your wildest imagination."

With that quote we kick off the Magical Definition Disney Podcast 15 years of Fantasmic! celebration! Join Nathan, Tim, Jackie, Jim and guest Roger as we discuss one of the most successful shows in Disney park history.

As always don't forget you can be part of the MDP Podcast crew by sending in an email to podcast@magicaldefinition.com or by calling the voicemail at (206) 888-MDP2 (6372).

For more information and to listen to the show visit podcast.magicaldefinition.com

2. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

Another nice effort, Tim. I, like you, felt a little lost in the Phantasmic discussion ... since I've never seen the Disneyland version, I have nothing to compare it with.

As for picture taking suggestions for Phantasmic ... my recommendation is always this: The best pictures you can take at MGM during Phantasmic are of everything else in the park ... since the crowd drops by half when everyone goes to the show. I've probably pitched more shots from Phantasmic than any other Disney attraction. It's almost impossible to photograph with apoint and shoot.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  3. Tim

agreed, john.

4. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

I would have to agree here to. I went through even trying shooting slides! (and surprisingly a few of them did come out) But I would like to try and see if the modern P&S can do anything - they're getting ISO 800/1600 now, along with manual focus ability, and fast lenses (seen some in the low 2s, my wife's is at 2.6 at the wide end). Except for the fact that many people can't figure out how to turn off their flashes (and I've always worried about a blank water screen due to the flashes bouncing off the screen)

5. jcvalenti

jcvalenti Member

I was there last in 2005, and was shooting ISO 800 with (allegedly) a shutter speed a little above 2. My results were horrible. The 800 ISO would've been sufficient, but the zoom on the P&S certainly wasn't and, as discussed in another forum, the delay between pressing the button and getting the shot guaranteed I missed the highlights. As for the flashes bouncing off the water ... might as well complain about the rain in Orlando in July, or the people driving the ECVs with no regard for the health and safety of others in the park. None of those things are going to change, nor are 95% of the people visiting the park going to suddenly learn how to use their cameras, lol.

Tim's inspired me, though. On my next trip, I'm definately bringing a DSLR ... either my Rebel or a new 5D (or it's successor, since it'll be in 2008). Since I'll have the DSLR at MGM anyway (for Star Wars weekend, of course), I'm going to make it my life's mission to get some decent snaps of Phantasmic.

6. Tim

successor? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! (remembers how much it cost...)

7. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Of course the successor, which will be released sometime in early 2008, which will be either the 3D or the 5DN or mk II, excepting of course, if Nikon releases a full frame camera before 2008, in which case it will probably be moved up.

Which reminds me - Tim, have you seen the Robot Chicken episodes of Star Wars?

8. DisneyVixen

DisneyVixen Member

IMO, this was a great episode. I too felt a little disconnected from the Fantasmic comparison, but it makes me hopeful to someday see the DL version. It really does sound like quite an experience. Hope everyone liked the show and the outtakes! lol.