Mayan Apocalypse photo tips

Discussion in 'Misc. Posting Board' started by ddindy, Dec 19, 2012.

1. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

The good folks at Borrowlenses.com have thoughtfully prepared a short video with some equipment tips for photographing the Mayan Apocalypse on December 21, 2012.

The best part is, if it really happens, you don't have to worry about paying for your rental equipment. :)

2. mSummers

mSummers Member

That's funny. ; Thanks for sharing it with us.

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Ok, so I have the IS lenses, tripod, and medium range ones. ; I guess I am all set?

4. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

I wonder how best to deal with white balance? ; Jeff's really going to be challenged with this one - grey skies, red fireballs, orange flames, yellow sulfuric gasses...the light and color's going to be changing pretty fast. ; I don't know how useful it is to shoot RAW to change later, since of course you won't be around later...so I suppose you need to change that white balance in-camera pretty quickly, to enjoy a properly taken shot on the LCD with friends for those last few minutes before a fireball takes you out.

And my...what dust issues! ; Splits opening in the earth, meteors slamming the ground and hurling dirt and dust high into the atmosphere, volcanoes belching ash into the air...have those Rocket Blowers ready, cause those sensors are going to get dirty...and who wants dust spots competing with fireballs and meteors in their final landscape skies?

What about those who didn't plan ahead and get weather-sealed cameras? ; Oh well - you'll have to try the old plastic bag trick or get a rain sleeve - you still might end up bricking up your camera and missing out on the final fireball explosion finale shot.

I for one am happy I've got a mirrorless camera to back up my DSLR. ; I'll certainly be using the DSLR, but when the fire is really raining down from the skies and cracks are opening up in the ground everywhere, it's time to switch to the lighter mirrorless kit - I can stay more mobile, hopping the cracks and dodging fireballs with more agility - I might get a few good minutes of extra shooting time before burning up or dropping into an endless chasm.

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Justin, some really good tips there. ; Mind if I share that with the G+ community? ;

I do not intend to change lenses during the event. No dust worries for me. ; ::)

6. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Feel free, share away!

Heck, you don't even have to credit me, since by the time I get around to litigating, the world will be over.

7. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Good point..I shall steal it then. ; If the world doesn't end, the post will self destruct. ; ;)

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Funny stuff, thank for posting that Dennis