MagicBand now testing at DVC Resorts

Discussion in 'Trip Reports & Member Reviews' started by RedOctober25, Oct 25, 2013.

1. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Looks like they are in the testing phase for MagicBands for DVC Members. ; Just got an email invite for my split stay during pixelmania. ; So I get TWO MagicBands for the duration of my trip. ; The downside is that this late in the game, Fastpass+ selections are hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone...

2. Sean&Karen

Sean&Karen Guest

used it this trip... is good except for fastpass+ didn't like that as an AP holder i could only get 3 fastpass a day.

3. I have one for Dec. Not sure how I feel about Fastpass +. Not liking it much at this point as it is taking away my flexibility. I feel like I have to go to the park that I have the Fastpass + for so I don't waste them.

4. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I think everyone is limited to three per day. ; The part I did not like (and maybe it was just because of the short time span between getting chosen to test the band and the date of the trip) was that I picked the first ride I wanted to use fastpass+ for and then it chose the other two with very little options. ; So for Hollywood Studios, I chose Toy Story Mania then it chose Tower of Terror and Star Tours for me all being an hour apart from the first time I chose.

Sent from my iPad

5. gary

gary Member

ok, right up front i have issues with this, i will pick my rides thank you. i don't do star tours, or rock n roller coaster due to motion sickness issues. why can't i ust do toy story 3 times if that's how i want to spend my time and money??

6. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Because IRL with Fastpass you won't get 3 FP for TSMM. ; One, and only if you show up at rope drop.

But I'm sure they will be happy to give you FP+ to American Idol and Disney Junior Live on Stage if you don't want to ride any other attractions! ; You just have to plan your Disney Experience[sup]TM[/sup] at least 180 days out, along with your dining reservations. ; It's all possible thanks to Disney Magic[sup]TM[/sup] (not related to the cruise ship) and our smartphone app.

On a serious note they still haven't added more FP attractions yet (and that will be things like Fantasmic! and shows at DHS) in order to "fix" everything. ; Which includes things like parade and fireworks seating. ; When the full rollout happens soon (probably after 1/1) then those will come online. ; I'm guessing the system chose the rides because there was nothing else to choose.

7. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Here's the deal: ; You can pick the attractions, but you can only pick each attraction once. ; If you don't pick three, they will pick additional ones so you have three.

You can always change them on the day, either with the app or at a kiosk. ; I don't know if you can change to get duplicate attractions or not.

Like it or not, we're stuck with it. ; It most likely will change, since this is really a beta (or maybe gamma) test phase.

8. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

I dont ride that many rides anyway, but it seems like they want to group everything within a certain timespan and not let you spread out your day. ; When I changed the time after the selections to a later time it adjusted my other Fastpasses to fall within a three hour period. ; So initially FP+1 is from say 11-12, FP+2 is from 12-1 and FP+3 is from 1-2. ; When I changed FP+1 to 3-4 it changed FP+2 to 2-3 and FP+3 to 4-5... ; I didnt necessarily want to go right from point A to point B to point C... ; Yes, I will just deal with it and will probably use most of my fastpasses towards shows, just hope it brings some changes before rolling out in its entirety.

Sent from my iPad

9. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

Stuck unless it fails to save and or make the company money. I think the only other change is that guests staying onsite and aren't using DVC points will be getting an extra FP+. And probably another one for concierge level guests.

I wonder if they will allow you to pay a few bucks to re-ride a popular ride during the day. A virtual e-ticket as you will.

/probably will
    /universal and sea world charge for their front of the line pass

10. mSummers

mSummers Member

You can actually set the FP+'s to the times you want and they don't have to be within a certain time block. ; While the reservation system does try to line them up, after you initially lock them in you can go back and edit them one at a time, moving them to whatever time you wish that's still available. ; However, the interface to do that is clunky and takes way too many clicks to accomplish, especially if you are trying to flip the times of two FP+'s. ; If you're trying to do that, you have to move "A" into a completely random spot, then move "B" into the spot originally occupied by "A" and finally go back and move "A" into the original spot occupied by "B". ; Way too much work for what should be a simple operation.

My biggest complaint is that you are stuck with 3 from the same park. ; Like Gary, about the only thing I would use it on at DHS is TSMM, and wish I could use the other two in another park on the same day. ; At a minimum, don't force me to take up spots at other attractions that I don't have any intention of using.

I will say that one thing I like about the system is the notification they send out when an attraction you have a FP+ for goes down. ; I had that happen in September and the email they send out states that you can use your FP+ on the attraction anytime later in the day if the attraction is running again, or you can use it on any of a list of attractions. ; If I remember correctly, the list at DHS is pretty much all of the attractions currently equipped with FP+