L glass?

Discussion in 'Digital Cameras & Equipment' started by barrie, Nov 17, 2006.

1. barrie

barrie Member

OK - You all keep talking about L glass - what the heck are you talking about?

2. AUBandPilot

AUBandPilot Member

Coming from an L glass newbie....and when I say newbie, I'm talking noon today (70-200 f2.8L IS 8) )!!!

"L glasss" refers to the Canon L series of lenses and represents the best that Canon produces. If the lens is Canon L series lens it will have an L after the maximum apature...ie F/2.8L.

L series lenses produce a much better image than other lenes with sharpness being a key benefit. Check out the image in this post as an example......http://themagicinpixels.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.msg399#msg399

That in a nutshell is what I believe "L glass" to be. Tim....guys....gals.....care to correct me or add?!?!

3. gary

gary Member

rumor has it L stands for LONGTIMEPAYFOR
    gary

4. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  5. barrie

barrie Member

Ah - I'm a Nikon girl. Thanks for the explanation!

6. vantonni

vantonni Member

Nikon has an equivalent set. I think its the "ED" designation. its the stuff that starts at 800$ and goes up. its just the marketing for the pro-line of lenses. but they come with some cool features.

some come with image stabilization.
    they come with full time manual focus (so you don't need to push a switch all the time)
    they are bigger and heavier but have a silent motor and are very fast to focus.

there is a bit of a cult out there concerning them, kind of like people who love leica M lenses. it is interesting to see someone at the parks with an L lens (they are either bright white or have a distinctive red ring on the lens-hood area) though mostly i see people with the kit lens on their digital rebels.

high end nikon lenses will be just as good if not better (i'm thinkin of that 85/1.4D nikon lens which is so smooth its butter)

what I'd really like to see is an andsel adams large format camera set up somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014