Is this a Snipe?

Discussion in 'Non Disney Photos / Mobile Phone Photos' started by jbwolffiv, May 9, 2011.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I figure one of you guys must know what this is. ; It is cropped a lot and still had bad reach with my 300mm lens. ; I took this at Sandy Hook on Mother's day walking around. ; Funny looking thing...

[attachimg=1]

Attached Files:

2. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

That is a green backed heron, shortly known as a green heron.

3. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Justin! ; If Howie does not post a shot of one I have no idea what it is! ; LOL!

4. HW

HW Member

LOL John. I did post a shot of a snipe sometime ago
    here is a link to it on my flickr.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ac209/5251 ... /lightbox/
    and a bit of trivia. the word sniper comes from the shooting of this bird

there is a little green heron at forsythe that a friend got a pic of but I haven't been able to find it

and there are tons of birds especially song birds that I have no idea what they are. there are also a lot of plover type birds that look very similar to each other and I have no idea what most of them are

5. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

Time to buy yourself a field guide, Howie. ; :) ; Once you get into those small song birds, a lot of them look a like with a few distinguishing markings. ; Now is the best time as most of the males are in their mating plumage.

6. WDWFigment

WDWFigment Member

Wait, wait, wait--snipes are real? I thought they were just some fictional creature we hunted in Boy Scouts. Sort of like the Jackalope!

This changes everything!

7. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

Indeed they are! ; In fact, this here is a real-life, actual snipe, for those not familiar with them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Great photos Justin!

9. Scottwdw

Scottwdw Member

And isn't he a cute little thing. ;

10. PolynesianMedic

PolynesianMedic Global Moderator Staff Member

The coloring on his feathers is beautiful.