iPhoto '09 to support geotagging and has facial recognition builtin

Discussion in 'The Digital Darkroom' started by Roger, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Roger

Roger Member Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/

I really like the faces thing. I'm sure that A2 will be updated to match as well. It's looking more like a GPS unit is the next thing to buy....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  2. mPower

mPower Member

3. mSummers

mSummers Member

I saw that... I was thinking about getting one, but I don't like the fact That I'd have to get another remote for it.

4. mPower

mPower Member

Yeah, that was/is kind of a bummer.

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

The externals are pretty darn easy to use, are cheaper, and don't require any modifications to the camera or remotes...maybe worth considering if you're thinking of a GPS toy. The Sony unit is just a little pocket fob that has its own battery, that simply needs to be synched with the camera clock. After that, no further contact needed (it can be used with any camera, btw) - it just matches the time in camera with the GPS unit time, and logs the photos. Gisteq is another brand with a similar device.

Or of course, if you've already got a GPS handheld mapping device like a Garmin, Magellan, etc...you can have your photos located by synching with that device.

Just a few other options for those thinking of trying photo tracking, so you can have neat map links on your photo galleries like me! ;) It sounds like the Nikon unit is much more automated, as it is installing the gps data direct to the photo exif when taken, saving having to synch it in the software later...and likely more accurate too, since it is precisely when the photo is taken, as opposed to the 10-15 second delay on the portable devices, and any synching errors that might occur.

It's fun though - I still get a kick out of clicking the map links and seeing the spot I was standing on a satellite overhead shot, down to the paving stone I was standing on!

6. Roger

Okay, well at least it's cheaper than the regular release. I'm wondering if the D4 will switch to the new style release. Canon did that a while back (their modern releases were introduced to the EOS-3 line and beyond back in 1998.

With the GP-1 having a spot for the new remote...you have to wonder.

7. mSummers

mSummers Member

My sister broke one her MC-DC1 remote after using it for 2 years. I think the wires inside the cable broke... I need to take it apart and find out. Anyway, I assume the MC-DC2 is the same build quality as the previous one. I'm looking at the di-GPS Pro because it has a built in 10 pin connector.

What's the new style release? Did I miss something?

8. Roger

[attachment=1]

See the remote thingy on the left side of the image?

Here's the new remote:

[attachment=2]

This is the remote for the D90. According to Nikon, it's only compatible with the D90. However, while Nikon is silent on it, I did find some blog that mentioned that the release port on the GP-1 will only accept this new remote in the remote slot.

[This attachment has been purged. Older attachments are purged from time to time to conserve disk space. Please feel free to repost your image.]

9. mSummers

mSummers Member

Ok, I saw that... I thought you meant there was another one somewhere else... Sorry... I'm just having one of those days.

Anyway, I doubt they switch to the MC-DC2 when they release the D4. While they haven't said much about it, I think the MC-DC2 is just an update of the MC-DC1, which has been around for a long time on the D80 and below. The only difference I see between the DC1 and DC2 is that the DC2 has a wider connector. I'm glad they changed the connector because the one on the DC1 is very small and somewhat loose in the socket (at least its very loose on my D70s)

I guess its plausible that they could switch assuming that the extra width allows them to add extra connections letting them make a remote with the same functionality of the MC-36 Multi Function Remote. But from a quality standpoint, that type of connection is somewhat flimsy compared to how solid the MC-30 and MC-36 are with their larger screw connections. So to me changing to that style connector would be a step backwards on the pro level cameras.

Just my 2¢ worth...

10. Roger