Illuminations from Odyssey Bridge

Discussion in 'Epcot Photos' started by jbwolffiv, Feb 1, 2013.

1. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

The week of Christmas I decided to try this location, mostly because I hoped that it would allow me to set up around 9:00 for the 9:30 showing. ; I was right, no one was on the bridge. ; I was very pleased with my results. ; I only wished that I aimed a little lower to get more of the reflection. ; Here is the first one.

[​IMG]
    Illuminations Blue Wide by jbwolffiv, on Flickr

2. Epcot 92

Epcot 92 Member

I agree with maybe more reflection. But the wide effect is very nice. I like the colors!

How long was the exposure?

3. Tim

Tim Administrator Staff Member

Awesome, John. ; I have got to try this one of these times and stop being a "get me on the railing" snob.

4. ddindy

ddindy Member Staff Member

Way to think outside the box, John. ; I think I've watched from over there, but never took photos.

5. zackiedawg

zackiedawg Member Staff Member

How wide were you? ; I like this, including the reflection - seems like it might be a very cool idea...but probably requires a pretty wide lens to get high enough for the fireworks while still getting the reflection. ; What lens were you using?

6. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Thanks Tim, Justin, Dennis and 92! ; I am staying at the Beach Club again this summer and plan on trying it again but with more reflections. ;

Tim, I find that I get too frustrated with trying to get a good close spot, this spot (and a few others) allows for late set up and plenty of room.

Justin, I was using a Tamron 10-24 and was at 14mm, with a crop sensor.

7. zackiedawg

Excellent...thank you. ; The Tamron 10-24mm is exactly what I was thinking I'd need to try - so that answers that question! ; Might try it at 10-12mm or so to get more of the reflection. ; If I make it out of dinner in time for the show tonight, I'll probably try it from there.

8. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Sounds good, good luck with it! ; I know that I had plenty of room to aim lower, just did not adjust on the fly. ; I cropped out plenty of sky when I got home.

9. zackiedawg

Well I did manage to hit that spot, but had one hitch - I hadn't brought the 10-24mm lens with me! ; I stopped back at the room after the whole day walking around with the bag, and was headed back to Epcot for dinner, and just wanted to travel light - so I left the bag at the room and just grabbed my tripod and camera - had the 18-250mm mounted - so that was as wide as I could go. ; It was still a cool spot to shoot from though - the water reflections were great, even though I had to make the same compromise and cut off some of the reflections in order to catch enough of the sky bursts - and still I cut off a few of the higher bursts. ; But like you said, very few people were shooting from there, and the water reflections really were great - better even than trying to catch reflections off the main lake, because the water in that pond is much more still and has none of the barges & fountain rigs & boats to block it out. ; I'll definitely plan on trying again from there with the wider lens.

10. gary

gary Member

Maybe that should be considered for a pixelmania spot

11. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

Probably wouldnt have to camp out for an hour prior with that spot...

(Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk)

12. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

I would think we would be ok setting up at 8:30 or so. ; I was there just about 30 minutes prior to the show 2 days after Christmas and there was no one on the bridge. ; That is a very small sample size however.

13. zackiedawg

The parks were fairly crowded this past weekend while I was there (surprisingly! ; I think maybe a few conventions in town combined with the usual Brazilian invasion)...I got there at around 8:45pm, and found an empty bench where the umbrellas are, with only one other couple sitting there. ; By the time the show started, there were probably 10-12 people gathered in that bench area. ; All along the walkway bridge though, there was no one. ; Even getting the bench wasn't difficult, and if we set up in a line along the bridge, I doubt we'd need any real pre-planning to get everyone in there.

14. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Sample size just doubled!

15. RedOctober25

RedOctober25 Member

If I can stay up late enough, I am going to try and shoot from there in three weeks. ; Or maybe China. ; Or maybe the Monorail Platform...

Sent from my iPhone...

16. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

17. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

18. zackiedawg

Does make me wish I had brought the UWA lens along that night!! ; I had to shoot MUCH tighter with 27mm equivalent being my widest. ; Here's an idea of my view and attempts from there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also didn't have any ND filters that night. ; Still it was a cool perspective, and I do want to try it again with a wider lens, more water reflection, and an ND filter.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
  19. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member

Still some nice shots! ; I am staying at Beach Club this summer and will be sure to use my 10-24 from there and see what I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. jbwolffiv

jbwolffiv Member